Deal Check: BMW X3

Hey All - Always grateful and appreciative of this community :slight_smile:

Car: 2022 X3 sDrive30i
Lease Term: 3 years ending Jan 2025 (now in month 27 of 36)
Mileage: 22K
Monthly payments: $643
Security Deposit: $4550
Residual: 0.56
MSRP: $51340
I’m attaching my lease calculator based on my contract as well.

Pay-off amount from BMWFS: $33594

KBB trade-in value: $31 - $33K

Love the car, no accidents, mint/perfect condition. No kids or fam so mostly a recreational car use.

Questions:

1. Given the high residual value and market value, it is bad idea to buy. Agree?
  2. Other options I need to consider other than buying ?

AGAIN, huge thank you in advance for folks reading and responding.

BTW your name is in your screenshot. Not sure if you care about that.

I agree, it’s not a terrible idea to buy this out and get that positive equity in your name first … then decide where to go next. But since you’re already in this lease I feel like you should just stay in it to term instead of financing at a higher interest rate today to exit the lease early.

I feel like there’s no reason to enter into a new lease right now since the X3 hasn’t materially changed too much (just a mild facelift).

Lol damn, 0.00083 MF. But it seems your deal had MSD, and isn’t materially different in terms of monthly payments than a new deal today.

Here’s the pre-negotiated LH deal… you can see the post-tax monthly isn’t too far off your sDrive30i. So upgrading only gets you a newer car, but it’ll reset you on another lease which doesn’t seem to make much sense given how much you enjoy your current car.

2 Likes

Not really. If you love the car, what else are you going to buy that you love for $33K? RV and market value doesn’t really seem that different to me.

2 Likes

Disagree, if you love the car there’s nothing wrong with just buying it out.

It seems the market value is roughly close to your payoff so it’s not like you’re way underwater (in which case it would not be smart to buy it out). But you might get a few real quotes (from Carvana, CarMax, etc.), KBB is just an estimate.

Given the low MF there’s no reason to be in a rush to buy it now though. Just ride the lease out then see what things look like in 6 months.

3 Likes

Appreciate the fast response.

Yes, I noticed my name in the lease calculator. At first, I didn’t really care, but now that you mention it, probably not the smartest move on my part. I tried to remove the attachment, but it won’t let me…sigh

Also, thank you for running the pre-negotiated deal check. I should’ve done that myself too. Thank you!!!

Good call on getting additional quotes from Carvan, CarMax and the like.

Also, I was thinking the same, i.e., run out the current lease term and then decide if I want to stick with it. Thank you!

1 Like

You have plenty of time and can also extend the lease for another couple months online too if you want and you can re-assess then…and that is like a year away!

2 Likes

Why would you buy this out now and not just wait until the end?

Your guaranteed residual is still good for 8 months, just ride it out and make the decision then. No need to jump the gun.

4 Likes

yup, agreed. Just trying to weigh out my options early :slight_smile:
thanks for the insights.