Deal Check: 2024 Subaru Outback Onyx Lease

Hi, new to the community and located in Michigan.

I have gotten numbers from a couple dealers over the last couple days on Outback Onyx and Limiteds. I’ve eliminated one dealer because I don’t want to work with them and may shop another. The one I am working with now came down on their initial offer.

Hoping to get some thoughts. Thanks!

Initial-
Selling Price: $37,213
Money Factor: 0.00202
Residual: $24,584

Current-

Can’t tell you whether your current deal is good or bad. What I can tell you is that my manual calculations agree with those of the dealer.

If this were framed as two leases for two Outbacks totaling $36k over the next six years, you’d automatically say no, right?

Thanks for the response, but I don’t know what you’re getting at. Like I said I’m new to this community and haven’t spent a lot of time analyzing leases. Unfortunately, I’m in a bind since I totaled my car and need a replacement. If you could clarify, that would be great.

He’s saying that this is a vehicle where the lease programs aren’t very compelling. Most vehicles are not good candidates for leasing.

@Brian_G2 , here’s an example of the anti-lease sentiment on this site.

I don’t know what Max_g is saying (because I have him on ignore). But based on the quizzical response of @Gimmehelium and another moderator having to jump in… it’s likely max_g is trying to convince someone to not lease. Basically max_g thinks if someone enters into a lease on a brand new Subaru, then the sum of their total payments during that lease is a lot of money. And a lessee constantly entering into leases for brand new Subarus will have spent a lot but have no equity at the end.

As a generality, I think we can all get behind the notion that owning a Subaru for 6 years will likely result in less use of cash than leasing two separate Subarus for 3 years each.

What’s annoying is the moderators don’t seem to care that some people want new cars that are trouble free, and they don’t want to drive older cars in years 4, 5, and 6.

Unfortunately this forum has become the place of talking people out of leases, instead of helping people who want to lease new cars to make sure they aren’t getting hit with money factor markups and hidden fees. Basically the moderators take the perspective that they themselves wouldn’t lease this car, so why should @Gimmehelium?

1 Like

I don’t see a number matching that on your worksheet.

The 37213 is the initial offer, not the current offer.

you should look for a 33k selling price maybe 34k

I think that may be tough on a 2024.

But there is one Onyx about to hit its first birthday down in Ohio. Maybe they’ll do a mega discount to clear this thing out below $33k.

https://www.byersauto.com/inventory/new-2023-subaru-outback-onyx-edition-awd-sport-utility-4s4btalc0p3224255/

Edit: volvoguy may be right… some of the broker deals out of SoCal seem to fit the notion that the 2024 Outback Onyx can be priced around $33k. I know Michigan is a better market for Subarus than SoCal, so maybe there is a regional pricing challenge to overcome, but it’s worth a shot.

If the answer to “two leases for two Outbacks totaling $36k over the next six years” is no, then the answer to one Outback lease for $18k is also no.

Spending so much of a car’s purchase price to basically rent it for such a small portion of its useful life—that is like renting furniture and appliances from places that rip people off by renting out those things.

Broadly speaking there are 3 categories of new cars:

A. Can be hacked (very small fraction)

B. Cannot be hacked but can sensibly be financed due to historical resale value

C. Neither: to be avoided unless you’re ok with just flushing money.

Outbacks and most Subarus are squarely in category B.

1 Like

Nailed it 100%, and especially with regard to @max_g , aka Little Max.

No point in arguing about it any longer though as it continues unabated and Little Max seems to be actually doubling down on the anti-leasing (and anti-Audi, pro-Volvo, etc.) rants.

@Gimmehelium: if you want the Outback wagon, by all means do your research and get the best lease deal possible after hitting up multiple dealers.

1 Like

Yeah, I don’t understand how the general recommendation to address a moderator’s consistent toxic behavior is to ask users to ignore the moderator.

Like why would a moderator ever adopt such mannerisms and tone to warrant being ignored by anybody? Why do the other moderators tolerate another moderator bombing every ICE lease thread (on a lease forum) with anti-lease rhetoric?

I hope @Gimmehelium finds a good deal on the new Subaru they want to drive. I feel like a lot of people enjoy their cars, and just want to get a decent deal on them. Rather than needing a cutthroat deal every single time.

1 Like

Completely free labor for 24/7 unwavering attention to unnecessary landfilling, closing threads that should remain open and other duties is invaluable - along with unending comments that go against the primary purpose of the website: leasing

yet he has NO idea what a cpo warranty on a volvo covers

Please tell me that I am so far on the bottom of this list, like page 10 of it.

Page 10 for everything, but #1 for the Survey page :wink:

1 Like

You know it! This Volvo employee is all about customer satisfaction!

2 Likes

Actual facts will not get in the way of that authoritative-sounding lecturing of others.

Edit: The 2-3 man Little Max army flagged two posts above as apparently the truth hitting home is not permitted, but being incorrect when it sounds authoritative and generally bashing any ICE lease or almost any lease for that matter is welcomed.

Got it. Pretty sad.

Thread closed and user activities under review. Please do not cause further disruptions to other threads and conversations. Thank you.