Deal Check : 2024 Ioniq 5 SEL RWD SoCal

Hi all, pretty new to this forum and first time leasing a car. I saw that there were some great deals to lease an ioniq 5 nowadays and found a broker with a website online and calculator to find a lease rate. Here’s the final numbers,

MSRP 49120
DISCOUNT 13000
|Lease Term|24|
|Miles Per Year|12000|
|Residual Value|$35366.4|

|TOTAL DUE AT SIGNING|$2671.11|

|First Month Payment:|$239|
|Acquisition Fee:|$650|
|Registration Fee:|$580.78|
|Smog Abatement Fee:|$20|
|Tire Fee:|$8.75|
|Documentation fee:|$85|
|Electronic Filing Fee:|$30|
|Upfront taxes:|$1057.83|
|Down Payment:|$0|

College Grad Program

$400

MONTHLY PAYMENT $239

Couple questions I have, please bear with me as I have not done this before.

1. Is this a good deal if I plan on purchasing the car after the lease term?
  2. Do most people who go through brokers to lease end up purchasing the car? Or do they just keep on switching cars after the lease term ends?
  3. It seems like the Residual Value is barely any lower than the MSRP plus 13000 discount. Does this mean anything?

Most of the time, buying an EV is not worth it. They depreciate too much.

This is a terrible vehicle to buy at the end, your buyout is way higher than what it will be worth in two years

Do most people who go through brokers to lease end up purchasing the car? Or do they just keep on switching cars after the lease term ends?

Usually people keep signing new leases, leases often times give you access to very low payments on vehicles that are usually out of budget on a purchase and you get warranty and other perks for your lease term

It seems like the Residual Value is barely any lower than the MSRP plus 13000 discount. Does this mean anything?

It means that Hyundai is inflating the residual to make the lease lower so they can sell more Ioniq5s

Thanks for your reply Asha,

In that case the residual and money factor don’t really matter, I am just trying to get as low of a total cost over 2 years as possible.

Thank you for your help Jeff. I have seen your post as well for the Hyundais here in socal. Would you be able to help me get a better deal than this for a 2024 SEL RWD?

Where did you find the calculator with the taxes and registration fees?

This is from the omegaautogroup site.

My pricing is the same but I just post simple updated numbers on my main thread vs an online calculator on a website

If you can do it, a one pay will probably end up being cheaper for you.

The money factor, or the apr finance rate for IONIQ 5s are relatively high, so a one pay would reduce the money factor below the base rate. (The base rate is the lowest possible money factor).

Right now, your out of pocket cost is around 8000 if my calculation is correct.

I have seen some one pay leases in SoCal for the SEL trim around 7600-7700.

You may need to ask around or do some more research but if you can do a one pay, I think it is worth it.

Thanks Asha, I will look into it. Appreciate your help and time.

1 Like

Multiple EVs have 0% APR offers for finance so you’d have to run the life cycle comparison of financing on day one vs leasing & then financing with a used car loan at around 6%

You’re going to have to decide one way or another before signing. Buy something for like a 4-6 year ownership period or do multiple leases over the same period.

Leasing and then buying at the end of the lease is going to be the worst financial decision here.

It’s just hard to figure out how to get all the registration and acquisition fees when using an online calculator, while the broker numbers are helpful they are somewhat sparse.

I’ve been offered a one-pay from a socal dealer with the following (incl. taxes)

One-pay lease
Based on Excellent
24 months
12k miles per
Total:$8,626.59

Any thoughts or improvements?

I think some NorCal dealers are in the $7700-$8000 range off the bat before any hard negotiating.

The former drives the latter.