Deal Check: 2023 VW iD.4 Pro S Plus AWD (24/10k, $276/mo, $3500 DAS)

On the verge of leasing an iD.4 and taking advantage of the $13k incentive. Local dealer has a pretty substantial overstock and is making this one look pretty good to my inexperienced eye:

2023 VW iD.4 Pro S Plus AWD w/VW Sound

Base Price: $55,545
Options: $296 (Floor mats, trunk liner, “CarGo” blocks, VW 2-in1 charging cable, deletion no AreaView (360 camera) or power folding/heated/memory mirrors, gives a $350 credit, which covers the cost of the cable
Mfr Destination Charge: $1,295
MSRP/Sticker: $57,136
Window Tint, Paint/Fabric Protection: $990
Dealer Discount: -$7,753
Dealer Price: $50,373
Mfr Rebate: $13,000
Total Purchase Price: $37,373
Acq. Fee: $699
Dealer Fee: $699
Gov’t Fees: $47
Residual 59%

DAS: $3,500 ($276 first month + $3,224 cap cost reduction)
Monthly payment: $275.69 for 24 months, 10k miles/year

I’d probably go $0 down, which looks like it would cost me ~$160 over the life of the lease…or should I just pony up the $3224 to make it a low monthly? My logic is that cash could work harder for me in 2 years if I did literally anything else with it…I can afford it just fine either way, and have read to never put money down on a lease, so that’s my inclination.

Calculator link here

The only way I could get the numbers to match was bumping the MF from Edmund’s reported .0016 to .00191 – does this mean the dealer is marking up the MF? If so, is this a bargaining chip?

Was also thinking of asking them to throw in the aftermarket HomeLink mirror since two of the main features of this trim level were “deleted” due to supply chain issues or whatever, but I’m sure that’s part of the reason this unit is pretty deeply discounted in the first place.

Thoughts?

1 Like

bumping this up

Wondering if anyone thinks deals will continue to improve as we get closer and closer to the 2024 version’s release, which is allegedly in March. This dealer has quite a bit of stock, but this seems to already be very aggressively priced. I’m not urgently in need of a vehicle for a couple months, but no telling if I’ll do much better on a deal by waiting a bit.

Gonna see if I can squeeze a few more bucks off it anyway–will likely be posting in SIGNED later this week regardless.

How does it compare to the Ariya, Ioniq or Kona?

At first glance this deal only looks good relative to the arbitrary MSRP. Without 360 camera or power mirrors it just proves how meaningless an inflated MSRP is. You should view this more like a low 40k car and reevaluate how much you want it.

2 Likes

Good call; thanks for the input.

For the record, I looked at the Ioniq5; didn’t drive it yet but sat in it to get the feel and check out ergonomics, infotainment, etc–I want it, my wife thinks it’s ugly. My dad has one and really likes it. The killer for us is cargo space, which is good but not great.

The Ariya seems intriguing, but also has nominally less cargo space than the iD.4. Maybe worth a look, especially seeing some of the deals people have been getting on them.

The iD.4 drove nicely and is just a pretty straightforward vehicle. Nothing too fancy, but still feels nice enough, great trunk space, and will be a very smooth transition from ICE vehicles. That last one is a biggie for my wife since it will be her daily driver and she has no interest in completely re-learning everything about operating a vehicle.

As a ~$40k car I still think it’s a pretty decent deal at ~$400/mo with nothing down. If we don’t love it, 2 years will be over before we know it and it’ll be on to the next.

Met two people yesterday who leased Ariyas and it seems just as straightforward and an equally easy transition from ICEV.

If you are able to get more value (either lower payment or more features) then definitely look into it.

MY24 ID4 has some noticeable improvements and I suspect many prospective buyers are waiting for that. It may not have the same incentives but it may improve MY23 programs for March. I have no insider knowledge and nobody knows future programs but that’s purely my guess.

1 Like

What does that $13k Mfr rebate include or consist of? Is it just the $7,500 fed tax rebate and $5,500 customer cash allowance?

Yep, from what I can tell that is how it breaks down. They offer the $5500 as cash incentive on purchases, but show it as a full $13k for leases.

Went and test drove with the wife today and she’s not sold, so quality of deal might be moot…

The ID4 is really the best car I’ve ever owned. We love ours.

Im into it, we’re just a little concerned that the cargo space isn’t quite enough for our needs. Even though the official specs say roughly 30 cubes, it doesn’t seem substantially bigger than the wife’s Lexus NX, which has an official ~17 ft3. Weird.

We’re gonna sleep on it and make the call tomorrow.

Edit: I watched the “banana box test” guy on YouTube and he fit 9 in the id4, 7 in the Lexus UX (reported 17ft cubed, so similar to the NX), and somehow got 11 in the Ioniq5 (28ish cubes), granted that involved sliding the rear seats forward. I guess dimensions alone don’t tell the full story.

if i may ask, what were the others you owned and are comparing id4 to? honest question to put your feedback in context. thanks!

I’ve owned four Chevy Volt’s starting with my 2011. I had number 2747 off the line. After the first Volt I had a 2013 Volt, a 2016 Volt and a 2018 Volt. After the Volt I got a 2022 Bolt EUV. I traded this for the ID.4. I’ve driven Tesla’s and Ioniq. You can not compare the ID4 chassis to these cars. It’s best to drive the options and make a decision for you.

2 Likes

yes, completely agree on the need to drive and feel the car first!
OP do let us know what you decided to do :wink: