Deal Check: 2023 Subaru Solterra Premium Not as Advertised

I noticed that Subaru is offering a $399/399 DAS deal on a 23 Solterra Premium nation wide. Upon talking to a local dealer, he is mentioning the ad doesn’t include an additional required $2899 down payment. I was under the impression that the DAS price includes all down payments, excluding TTL.

Anyway, attached is the ad, and the quote from the dealer. Is the any chance of getting the offer available online, or am I dreaming?

If you read the national ad, there is an asterix in the fine print that it also requires you pay taxes and fees.

Anytime you see a national lease ad, for any brand: ignore it. It’s filled with fine print, and it’s not a good deal.

If you’re looking to lease in Texas, you should focus on brands that offer tax credits. If you’re looking to lease an EV, objectively this should be near the bottom of any list.

If you’re interested in any other Subaru, you are almost always better off purchasing than leasing

2 Likes

The taxes and fees I can understand. It’s the seemingly random $2899 that confuses me.

Thank you for insight!

You have to pay tax on the purchase price of the vehicle in TX, w/o tax credits.

Does that make the $2899 seem less random?

1 Like

Post the full quote, OP. I bet the $2899 down is the dealer discount that they’re making you pay.

“dealer participation may vary”

The TTL I understand ($3980).

From the dealer:

“TTL is excluded from the offer, which means, your down payment is $2899, plus $3980.00 = $6879.40 at signing.”

Tldr you’re wasting your time with ads.

And in Texas you’re also wasting your time without available sales tax credits

1 Like

The $7500 tax credit is included.

“$7500.00 comes of MSRP, plus the discount = Net cap cost of $35,905 (incl. $295 acq. fee). Just say $2899.00 due at signing…down payment.”

I am waiting on the total cost breakdown.

That is not the same thing as TX sales tax credits

5 Likes

Why? Dealer offers are a waste of your time.

Learning curve, I guess… Trying to figure out what to lookout for.

1 Like

I’m still confused… I received the breakdown:

I noticed the $7500 tax credit was not applied. I inquired and received this:

Shouldn’t the numbers change?

I would move on at this point, this dealer isn’t valuing your time.

1 Like

OK, I did a calculator for this and a couple of things:

• They’re marking up the MF
  • They’re charging almost $1400 in add ons. I don’t think you can remove Starlink as that’s some sort of Subaru specific charge, but any normal Subaru dealer would eat the charge.
  • If I use the normal MF and no dealer BS add ons, you’re at $513 / 0 down, with the $99 Starlink charge.

No BS Calculator

As mentioned previously - the taxes mostly kill this $399 dream, but the add ons aren’t helping. Either ask for a greater discount to offset the addons and marked up MF, or start looking at different brands.

1 Like

You can, it’s the enhanced stuff to enable remote start. And iirc $99 is marked-up, it should be $75

1 Like

$1,400 for unnecessary addons is wild. You could look at other brands, dealers, or maybe brokers in the marketplace. But $399 w/$399 DAS seems like one of the classic bait’n’switch national ads

2 Likes

If you need VIP for a deal on a wobbly-wheeled Solterra, just wave the white flag of surrender.

Solterra’s have been discounted heavily and routinely up here, often 5-6k off just to move them. As was said, move on.

4 Likes