Deal Check: 2022 VW Taos SE

Maybe because the market for fat Americans is larger than the market for those with narrow parking spaces?

1 Like

Except the car was released in China first, so…

I don’t think this car is particularly optimized for the US (unlike the long wheelbase Tiguan).

Car was designed to accommodate a large variety of markets including fat Americans.

Regardless of which market it hit first.

Run… Fast. I also got a quote on a TAOS and it was insane. ended up in a CX-5

My neighbor who’s Tiguan lease is up in February is adamant on getting the Taos. I said, please don’t do this. Let me help you sell your car so you can take your equity out of the Tig and then help you make a rational decision on your new car, etc

I was basically offering to help her and put in the time for free. Do you think she listened?

She said “oh no, the VW salesman I’ve been working with for years always takes care of me”

Thinking to myself, I said “sure he’s going to help you and financially sodomize you”

I gave up at that point. :man_shrugging:

Par for the course…

I’ll never understand why people trust what the person who is financially motivated to give bad advice says over people that aren’t financially motivated to do so.

1 Like

That doesn’t really make any sense to me. Why would a car be introduced in one market years ahead of other markets if it wasn’t primarily designed for that first market?

I think the Taos is part of VW’s usual pattern of not quite understanding the US market (Arteon, Tiguan, upmarket Passats).

Been there, done that.

My dad purchase a Jetta then several Nissan whatever or CamCordRolla all at invoice for years.

He didn’t do his research or listen, going with the logic of relationships etc.

1 Like

Did the salesperson treat him well? I often think that the treatment from the salesperson is more important to many than is the actual transaction price.

The biggest irony is, even if you succeed in dragging their reluctant ass across the dotted line, they’ll ultimately resent you for cockblocking them from consummating the deal with their favorite dealer who “always takes care of them”.

2 Likes

I think the Tiguan was a smash hit in the US market and they’ve sold more than their fair share. The Taos exists to replace the Golf family (save for GTI and Golf R guise).

It literally only exists as a long wheelbase variant in North America, placing it close to compact-sized cars while the Tiguan grew dramatically in size.

Both have their place and they’ll make VW lots of money. I just would never recommend either to anyone who takes driving and cars seriously. The cheap quality interior coupled with lack-luster power trains really leaves a lot to be desired, especially as you move up in trim and price.

Now the Arteon, that is VERY nice and I’m glad they offer it, though it can only be offered because of cars like the Taos and Tiguan.

Wish they’d offer the Tuareg because the newest Tuareg is very nice, but Americans can’t stomach spending Mercedes GLE money on a Volkswagen.

I meant the original Tiguan (whoops). :wink: Agree that the current Tiguan has done well, but I would also argue that it’s one of the few VW products that seems designed for NA (as you said, we only get the long wheelbase version).

I actually imagine the Taos prob drives really well, but it lacks the class-above interior to justify the price (IMHO).

I think the Arteon is an interesting car, but, for the same $, I think I’d rather buy a Stinger (and I’d certainly be more comfortable buying a Kia than a VW… And I say this as a VW owner).

And I’ll stop the off topic stuff now. :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.