Deal Check: 2021 Volvo XC60 T8 Recharge Inscription

Still not much different from the previous generation. The only Volvo I wouldn’t buy right now.

You and I remember the previous generation of xc60 very differently.

I do agree that the spa vehicles are due for an update though.

2 Likes

I heard that 2022 will have Android instead of Sensus, and that’s about it. XC60 has been around too long in the exactly the same shape.

if you have seen the android in the p8, you’d know that you don’t want it yet. it’s nowhere near ready for prime-time. they rushed it.

That only emphasizes my “dislike” of XC60 :grin:

the whole XC60 really isn’t long-in-the-tooth IMO, especially if you look at one next to an RX350 (for instance). I wouldn’t ever purchase one, irrespective of where in the product lifecycle it is, but if I had to replace it today and there wasn’t a V60 T8 (or an Audi RS Wagon lease that was tollerable), it would be another XC60 with 0 regrets (probably 1 or 2 different options).

As infotainment systems go, Sensus works fine (doesn’t infuriate me under normal use, ever) and when it breaks 1-2 times a week I just have to reboot it like Windows 3.1 (stop/off/open driver-door, close door, start car, Happy Sensus). As someone who lemon’ed a car over an Infotainment system, Volvo’s doesn’t even make me itch.

But: Volvo requiring service for software updates is something Ford fixed in 2016 with Sync3. Every update usually makes things better, but Volvo’s (effectively) annual cadence is impossibly slow.

By all accounts, the Android-based system is an improvement, but they also have to make updates available more frequently/easily. The OTA framework is all there in Sensus, they didn’t need Android for that — afaik the first OTA update Volvo ever pushed was the OnCall fix for XC40 P8.

It’s the same interior as the xc90 which came out in 2014. In my opinion it looks quite dated.

Aside from being built on a different platform, powered by different engines, with a different interior and different infotainment, and designed entirely under the management of a completely different corporate owner than the prior generation, sure.

3 Likes

OP I didn’t see if you truly need a vehicle right now. This may be market prices today, but its insanity by historic prices. If at all possible I’d wait, there’s too much global competition for these prices to hold.

I’ve been exploring the XC60 to entertain the wife’s strong association of Volvo with safety, desire to have an SUV for long trips/haul our bikes, and because I absolutely abhor her current BMW 320i. I’ve considered purchasing the RX450h, but no deals to be had there either…and this is a lease forum. Ultimately, the advice here seems like a strong WAIT.

Some of ya’ll give me too much credit, I’ve woken up to a dead cellphone more than I can count. I also nearly ran a Tesla battery dry when car-sitting, luckily they have fast DC charging. I’ve learned to not underestimate my own forgetfulness.

Unfortunately(for the purpose of learning to plug in), with the phev, there’s essentially no consequences to not plugging it in.

Now if you really want to force the learning, get it and then run the gas tank dry. Then you’ll really feel the pain when you forget to charge it.

1 Like

Absolutely. A PHEV is not going to teach anyone forgetful to plug in

get a BEV. if this is some sort of interim step, a cheap Bolt or Leaf plus a CUV will still be cheaper

2 Likes

Right, except I clearly said what I meant:

Obviously, it is not the same car as a whole, sure.

Too bad you weren’t in the market in March (which true of anyone car shopping since), back then you could have gotten into a Q5e PHEV for about half of this. It was cheaper to lease than a base Q5 2.0T and was as quick as an SQ5.

I dunno, they look no more alike than the outgoing TLX and the new gen. Other than the signature CR-V style tail light (that also ties back to the ‘93 850 Wagon), there isn’t much that connects the two. They both generically have an SUV shape,

That’s because the TLX generation is an update to the previous one. The majority of changes happened to the chassis and power train.

Same/similar body language.

The point ursus is making is both generations of XC60 have the same lines, similar rear and front ends. One is a slight evolution from the other.

The biggest exterior change there were the headlights which are arguably, pretty sweet.

1 Like

Funny to be complaining about the pace of style evolution for a brand that successfully sold virtually the same exact (amazing) 240 wagon for two decades.

Volvo’s ethos is the ultimate in tasteful Scandinavian design. I’d be disappointed if its new owner ever discarded that approach. If you want controversial changes every 5-7 years, there is no shortage of brands that will gladly deliver on that cycle :sunglasses:

1 Like

So a ground up, entirely new frame, completely different proportions, different powertrain, entirely different interior, suspension design is all just an ‘update’ because it’s still identifiable as an Acura? :smiley:

1 Like

Where did you see complaints here? I said that for me XC60 is the last Volvo I’d buy because its body is stale. I had the 12, 16 and 19 S60 and they all were different. Compare the 12 and completely new 19.

What are you talking about?

Ursus comments were squared purely to the exterior design of the car.

The TLX now as compared to 2 years ago look extremely similar in exterior design.

That’s not to say the interior and mechanical things haven’t changed, that just wasn’t the point.

1 Like