Deal Check - 2020 BMW X3 Loaner

Hi all - need some advice as I’m not able to replicate the dealer offer on the calculator. I’ve looked at other deals listed on the forum as well but it seems I’m missing something. I’m attaching the snapshot I received from the dealer as well as the link to the calculator. Thanks for your help!

MSRP: $52,335
Discount: $10,655.48
Selling Price: $41,679.52
Incentives: $2,000
Residual: 56%
Mileage: 4600
MF: .00104
Acquisition Fee: $925
StarGard: $600
Dealer Fees: $115
Govt / Reg Fees: $1100
Sales Tax: 10.4%

Fix your MF to 0.00139 in your calculator. If you want to do MSDs choose 7 and calculator will adjust your MF to 0.00104. That MF is fully marked up btw.

Your gov fees don’t match. Sheet says $2200, your calc says $1100. Where is your $600 starwars gard in the calculator.

Adjust them and they should match. GL.

You’ve got a good discount so now see if you can push down the mf.

Thanks a lot for your response.

• MF: I see where the dealer and I are not aligning. I’m assuming 0.00104 based on 0 MSD whereas the dealer is assuming 0.00104 based on 7 MSD.
  • Gov Fees: Yes, dealer said 2200 is inaccurate and to use 1100. He wasn’t able to share why 2200 is inaccurate
  • StarGard: I wish I could have it removed. I added it to the acquisition fee box as I didn’t see where else it could fit.

Thanks again!

With that size discount you can live with a slightly marked up mf or even the safeguard (which is bs) but not both. Good news is you have one piece of the puzzle now just push on the others (base mf and removing or discounting the safeguard).

3 Likes

Great discount to start with

If gov fees are $1100 your calc should like this with the those numbers.

Thank you all - super helpful. I’ll circle back to share where this lands.

1 Like

This is a strong deal for the PNW, regardless of the marked up MF and StarGuard.

If you like it, you should take it or someone else will.

1 Like

seriously, 20% off? wow. are you in the puget sound area? If so, that $1,100 might even be high. I would guess their system defaults to $2,200 (which is really high)

1 Like

Most dealers in the northwest overshoot the registration fees for Seattle metro because of RTA tax to ensure they can cover it. My last few cars I’ve gotten refunds when I get my plates - anywhere from $100-$300 back.

1 Like

The Mercedes GLB250 loaners are Lessing really well in PNW if you’re in the market for something similar to the X3. Check that out too. Should be able to get it for less than $400 a month with Tax.

I can hook you up with my contact at the dealership.

The GLB isn’t similar to the X3. The MB equivalent to an X3 is a GLC.

1 Like

The GLB and GLC are within an inch of each other. The “smaller” GLB actually has more capacity

I think Aesthetically and body structure-wise, the GLC is the more similar match. In either case, the X3 is superior in interior and rear capacity space.

OP, ask them to knock off 300-400 bucks (through MF reduction and/or StarGard) and then sign this and enjoy!

2 Likes

They are similarly sized, but I doubt an SUV based on a FWD economy car is going to match the driving dynamics and perceived luxury of a car that was that designed, at the outset, to be a more “fully realized” luxury SUV.

Most people who are looking at SUVs in this size class are probably not super interested in ultimate cargo space, IMHO (so the increased capacity of the GLB may not be relevant for them).

And I say all this as someone who finds the GLB quite appealing (enough so that I’ll probably try to see if I can snag a loaner as a good price in a few yrs).

I think you think the general population reflects your interest in driving dynamics and build quality. It doesn’t. Which is why the 3-series and 5-series wagons are dead in the USA and FWD rebadged Minis like X1-2 sell like hot cakes.

Mercedes found a consumer segment sufficiently large enough to justify designing and building a GLC-sized SUV with not only more useable cargo space but also a kid-sized third row option.

2 Likes

And I think that you think the general population knows (and cares) enough about car specs to be able to compare cars based on objective criteria, rather than on marketing or perceived luxury.

I’ve written multiple times (incl on other boards) that I know that the general US population does not share my tastes at all.

Right… Which means the consumer segments also need to be distinct enough so that the GLB doesn’t cut too heavily GLC sales. The cars may be similar size, but I doubt that the same demographic of buyer is seriously looking at both. Whatever differences that exist btw the two are sufficient large to justify the existence of both (at least for now; I don’t know if anyone here has much sales data on the GLB), even if they’re the same size.

To me, the general population can tell when a car is quieter (some reviews have mentioned that the GLB is a little noisy for the price), rides better, and feels “more solid,” even if they can’t explain WHY the car is more luxurious-feeling.

I actually think myself that the GLB is a perfectly fine substitute for a GLC or X3 (for many of the reasons you state) based on functionality, but, as your yourself have implied, people don’t buy cars just based on functionality. Otherwise, we’d all be driving minivans (not station wagons).

And I don’t think that even you would deny that the GLC is more similar to an X3 than is the GLB.

At any rate, to get back on topic, if the OP thinks that the GLB is a sufficient substitute for an X3, more power to them.

1 Like