Deal Check: 2019 Audi A5 Sportback Premium Plus with Bank and Olufsen

Greetings,

Can I get a deal check on this? Looks right - though I’ll try and get it $20 lower by breaking even on the car trade in (I’ll probably just pay the difference).

Sum Breakdown
MSRP is $50455.00
Money Factor:.00155,
Residual: is 0.55 ($27750.25)
Selling price $40878.00

Fees are:
Acquisition $895.00,
Title $29.25,
Documentary $499.00

Monthly Lease Cost Breakdown:
Lease Depreciation $424.40
Lease Charge $109.71
Use tax $44.73
= $578.84 monthly payment with $550.00 cash down at signing

Check on edmunds for what the incentives and MF are supposed to be. I have a feeling the MF is marked up. I know some regions have a $6000 incentive on A5 SB, so your dealer discount is paltry taking that into consideration.

You can do better. Yes check Edmunds. Shop around.

I don’t see how. Edmunds within 500 miles of Las Vegas, can’t beat the price quoted. It’s a new 2019 Premium Plus A5 going for $40878.

Invoice is $46448 according to NADA, throw on top the $6000 Audi discount right now, you’re at $40448.

Judging by my price breakdown so far:

There’s $40878-$40448 = $430 padding on the price.
The $499 documentation fee. (Unavoidable, probably.)
And there’s probably some padding in the lease charge. Lease rate is basically 3.72% APR - which is probably 1% too high, but an expert on Edmunds says that’s the Audi rate right now.

You’re misunderstanding what “check Edmunds” means.

You need to verify RV/MF/incentives with them.

I’d also recommend stepping back from talking to dealers for a bit under you do some more research on optimizing a lease.

What am I missing on optimizing my lease? You’re probably a bigger expert than I am, so I welcome suggestions.

I can’t get the two dealerships in town (and the only ones within 150 miles) to compete with each other, they’re both owned by Autonation. So I can’t cross haggle.

I’ve gotten terms from forumers on Edmunds before actually negotiating with the dealership.

I’ve verified RV and MF and Incentives on the Edmunds forums. The car is damn near $10k off MSRP.

That’s why I’m asking here - I’m covering all my bases before I commit to a purchase.

Even the Brokers have a lower bound of about $547 for this car. (489 + 2100/36 = $547.33).

It’s not really though. The only discount going on here is the dealer discount. If Audi is offering $6000 in incentives, the car is $3500ish off, not $10000. It’s critical to keep that in mind as you go talking to dealers.

The first step in optimizing a lease is having a solid understanding of where you’re starting. That means not only having a thorough understanding of the lease terms (RV/MF/incentives/etc), but also thorough research of comparable deals.

Basically, right now, you’re sitting at 7% off pre-incentive, on a left over 2019 model. Hopefully that’s at buy rate MF. It’s a bit unclear from your posts .

Before you move forward at all, look at any a5 deal or broker listings you can find from the past several months and isolate out the pre-incentive discount, adjusted for buy rate if the mf is marked up.

I suspect what you’ll find is that 7% is low.

1 Like

Have to correct - it’s not 7% (that’s if you factor in small amount of negative equity).

True calculation is actually 9.1% off MSRP if you include the $5000 incentive. (It’s $5000 in Nevada, $6000 in some other states.)

I’ve put all the values into the calculator.

The 7% number I gave wasn’t factoring in your negative equity, it was going off the $6000 incentive number you had provided. If it’s only $5000, then sure, it’s 9%. The point still stands.

The Las Vegas area is a notoriously poor market for leasing as competition is limited, but it sounds like you’re unwilling to go further as evidenced by your previous post of mentioning the nearest alternative dealer being 150 miles away.

Your discount is poor and you don’t seem to have a good handle on what the incentives and the actual MF are. You said an “expert” on Edmunds. Did you ask the question in the forums on Edmunds, or just read through the articles? The deals offered on Edmunds are not competitive.

Also, the documentation fee is always negotiable as that’s pure dealer profit. Though there’s a good chance they won’t get rid of that.

I recommend looking to SOCAL to lease the car and driving it home. Long road trip to celebrate a new car… but I’m a car guy so I guess it makes sense for someone like me to want to do that.

1 Like

Hmm, I suppose I wouldn’t mind going further in most cases. The only problem is COVID-19 - most hotels are closed, and interacting with people is frowned upon, particularly in California. If this were two months ago, you bet I’d do that. The nicer Audis are perfect road trip cars.

On the flip side, high manufacturer incentive because nothing is selling right now. There are 19 2019 A5s on this dealer’s lot right now, which means they will probably really want to get rid of them. So it’s just a matter of finding how much they’re willing to sell for. I’m in no rush.

As for the expert, I asked the question in the forums on Edmunds and got answers from a moderator who seems to answer thousands of posts like mine.

You can easily do a quick trip with no hotel stay.

Flights are cheap and empty.

It’s a four hour drive. If you don’t want to take a household member and drive back in two cars, do a one-way car rental.

I found this on Priceline, you can go pretty much any day you want.

1 Like

Based on their discount, they don’t really seem all that excited to get rid of those A5 SBs.

2 Likes

Alright, I’m convinced. I’ll reach out to some Southern California dealerships and see if I can get a lower price.

Get in touch with @AudiGuan. Though I haven’t seen him post in a while.

Sounds like OP is in Vegas can AudiGuan do out of state deal?

Then you should just wait until dealers are chasing volume bonuses again.

@Samaudibh @DonnyAudi @IvanAudi

A lot of folks representing :grin: though these are weird times…

1 Like

Back in the office as of today, can definitely assist with out of state deals!

Fantastic @DonnyAudi - glad to have you reply !

I’ve read that it may be possible to get 20% off MSRP before incentives. I’ve seen broker ads go as far as 15% off. If you want me to cite them so you can have something to justify to someone, let me know.

I’ll definitely drive down this weekend if this deal is possible. Am I smoking crack suggesting this or is this actually possible? I’ll take any Premium Plus with B&O.