Damage on returned lease - Chase Mazda

Hi all!
About to return my 2018 Mazda CX9 to the dealer tomorrow. Just noticed a huge crack in the windshield (non-repairable) on the bottom portion of the windshield (in the black area), that was pretty well hidden.

Got a quote from safelite- about $800 to replace. Do you think I should just go ahead and replace it before returning the vehicle or try to chance it and skip it?

Any idea what upcost the dealer would charge to do it at lease end?

Thanks !

They didn’t notice that during the lease end inspection? If it’s hidden pretty well, you might try and risk it by simply returning it at the dealer and walk away.

You literally give them both keys. They take the plates/tags off and make you sign a piece of paper. Usually done by a younger salesman etc.

If they don’t see it you’re off the hook.

If you don’t want go that route, I would just go down to your local junk yard or auto glass place and get a used windshield for less than half of what safelite quoted . Would not put a new windshield on a car that I’m returning. That’s just me…

Did you have a lease end inspection or are you just dropping it off and hoping for the best?

They can still get you for the window even if it was t in the lease end inspection, it’s not like you have the lease end inspection and then scrape another car in the parking lot for $800 worth of damage and then turn it in and shrug and say “it wasn’t in the inspection, it’s yours now suckers”

They will require OEM glass and you’ll get a bill, they aren’t going to not notice it, you’re still liable for stuff that happens after the inspection.

Right. I don’t get lease inspections for that reason, because I personally believe its bogus. I’ve had damage on cars, (even my Volvo S90) that noone said anything about and I never had an inspection either.

Kind of hoping to just drop it off and hope for the best, but also want to know how much they would upcharge if in fact they did ding me for it

Need to take good pics at the dealer then haha!

Get the windshield replaced through your insurance. If you let the dealer find it and charge it’s gonna be much higher. A windshield isn’t raising your rates.

People should really refrain from making sweeping generalizations about insurance

3 Likes

Deductible is 1k. Safelite is 800 to replace…

If you had gotten an inspection, they would have told you how much they were going to ding you for the windshield replacement, and you could have made an educated decision as to if it was financially beneficial to replace now or pay them for it.

Would have been much more useful to you than asking strangers on the internet.

2 Likes

Another person making grand assumptions.I generally don’t get lease inspections. I’ve never leased through Mazda/Chase before.I had my lease inspection cancelled x3 because of covid, so the company says. There’s only so many appointments available and I tried to do what I can to get one.

Thanks for the passive judgement. You make this forum better.

Seems I made a grand assumption that when you said “I don’t get lease inspections for that reason” that meant you “don’t get lease inspections for that reason.”

This is a perfect situation where a lease inspection is in your best interest. If it’s canceled because of Covid, then you have to roll the dice and that sucks. Many of us had to do the same. When given the option, however, and choosing not to get a lease inspection because you “believe its bogus” is doing yourself a disservice, particularly when you know there is damage.

2 Likes

You don’t have full glass coverage on your insurance??

Its worth the extra few bucks a month especially in today’s cars where the cost as you can see can be very very expensive

this is what im referring to. Was unaware.

I’ve had things pointed out on inspections that I didn’t know were there. Better to have the inspector catch it and give you an opportunity to do something about it than just hope for the best. Obviously if an inspection isn’t available because of a global pandemic, you’re SOL.

1 Like

I do. But in NJ if you need to replace it- it goes according to your deductible. Mine is $1,000. Going through safelite would be cheaper.

Will do that next time- now that I came across this.

When I checked with our carrier it wasn’t worth anywhere nearly what the additional premium was going to be.

IIRC, the break-even was something like one “free” windshield replacement every two years.

I don’t need that much “peace of mind.”

Any idea how much extra than 800 a dealer would charge to replace a windshield? 800 already seems like a lot IMO

800 isn’t a lot. That’s actually pretty cheap. Most newer cars will have windshields that will cost $3k to replace because of the special glass needed for hud, and all of the driving assist sensors. The snesors also need to be recalibrated after a replacement.

I would return and roll the dice if it’s well hidden.

I had a friend that got into an accident after the inspection and wasn’t charged for it because it wasn’t in the inspection. There was about $3k in damage. He did lease another infiniti though.

Interesting. Was planning on leasing another Mazda. But honestly, the driver legroom kills me. There is no place to move in the front seat. and im average height- so going to look at something else.