Current SoCal BMW 2/3 Series Leasing Experience

I’ll cut to the chase. My lease was up for my 2018 BMW 340i with ~11k miles, and… I sold it to Autonation, and opted to not replace it, for now…

Couple of bullet points for those with semi-great 3 series deals from 3 years ago.

• Previous car was 13.4% off pre-incentive, 22.3% off after incentives, so $432/mo after tax, 36 mo (10k), $2500 driveoff, no msds
  • Best I could get pre-incentive was ~3k off on this M340i, which, after my OL code, would be ~$730/mo and $2400 driveoff (or, ~60% more $$ than my '18 3 series)
  • If you can find one, the '21 M240i’s have a $2k lease incentive, versus $1k for the '21 3 series (or $0 for the '22s)
  • For some reason the tires are universally garbage on the new 340s, almost always all-season grand touring or summer ‘touring’ tires. I hadn’t realized (even though they’re no Michelin P4s’) that the Brigestone Potenza S001 rfts I’ve had for the last 3 years are better than anything you can currently find in the area (aka, budget ~$1500 for the Michelins if you want to actually ‘experience’ a 340 properly)

In terms of getting #s on the '18 340i, I got quotes from Carmax (33k), KBB Instant (33.3k) Vroom (35.4k [before I realized they’re not doing lease buyouts]), Carmax (35.6k), Shift (35.7k) and Autonation (36k). The payoff was 34.2k, so, I ended up going to Autonation (Land Rover Encino) for ~1.8k above the payoff. FWIW I was ‘way’ under on miles, but… the car had a couple of scuffs on the rear bumper/ding under a headlight so my PPI from BMW of Santa Moncia said BMW would charge me $800 in addition to the $350 disposition fee.

So, coming ahead ~+3k versus turning things into BMW I can’t say I have that much fomo about chasing even more $$ in terms of a private sale, which, barring the timing of things would mean I’d be out $3,500 in sales tax + ~450 for the registration. So, I’d need to get > 38.1k to make it worth my while, and, as these things go, I opted to take the money and run, and see how living without a car that we only ever drove~100mi/mo for the last year (or ~180mi/mo over 2 years) would go.‘’

Here’s what BMW considers ~800 of damage for those with upcoming lease terminations (400 ea. for the front and then rear bumper)

3 Likes

correct me if I am wrong, but I thought BNW FS would not allow third-party buy-out anymore. how did you sell it?

Bmwfs still allows 3rd party buyouts, they just require the lessee to request the buyout rather than the 3rd party.

oh, that is cool. thanks

~$750 price cut (not surprised). Semi-surprised that they didn’t even try to fix the chipped paint on the rear bumper.

https://www.landroverencino.com/used/BMW/2018-BMW-3+Series-1335e5870a0e097120e50d48d3d5055b.htm?utm_source=Autotrader&utm_medium=ThirdParty&utm_campaign=000001766

One other anecdote (back in September) from someone at the used dept of Santa Monica BMW is that the general vehicle supply issues are largely with SUVs/Trucks in regions that snow. So, one reason he was skeptical of any sort of ‘bidding war’ on my 3 Series is that sedans in Southern California are generally plentiful (even more so now in October). Now, wasn’t necessarily calling for a glut of supply, but threw out ~Februrary as a month where sedans ‘could’ begin to normalize in terms of pricing.