Credit card limit on one pay?

Can I put my one pay on a credit card? Or do dealers have Max for cards? Was planning on opening a cc with $1250 sign on bonus if spent 4k.

Ask the dealer, we can’t give you a definitive answer

I think that would be a question for your dealer to answer since they’ll likely pay credit card fees on the transaction and is up to them if they are willing to eat the cost (meaning there’s enough profit in your deal). My personal experience is my dealer felt that they’re not making enough on my deal that they wont accept a credit card for inceptions.

1 Like

Some dealerships do have lower CC limits than others. My dealer told me the limit was about $3K, however they didn’t have a problem when I arrived and was was about to pay more than $6k in MSDs.

I’d say don’t ask, just go blindly and offer your credit card (be aware of any fees tho), and have a checkbook, cash or debit as backup.

When I called snd asked, they’re was a limit. When I showed up, it was a different story!

4 Likes

You’re right . Dealer by dealer. My dealer didn’t even budge or express concerns over any fees for my $6650 in MSDs.

Definitely dealer by dealer. When we bought a CPO Hyundai for our son in February they limited us to $3k and we paid the other $9k on debit. Another dealer I have dealt with for business purposes limited credit card transactions to $500.

And sometimes deal by deal at each dealership. For a skinny deal where they’re making $100-$200, no way on large CC payment. If they’re making $5000 (above msrp deal) they’ll probably accommodate whatever.

1 Like

My :crystal_ball: tells me $3,000.

2 Likes

It varies by dealer. My experience is also generally a $3,000 limit.

1 Like

I emailed the dealer yesterday morning but I have a feeling the lady that’s been assisting me is off for couple of days. And I was afraid I might lose sleep again tonight if I didn’t get an answer right away.

Thanks for your replies. If it’s around 3k it’s still worth doing it.

1 Like

Yup, a one-pay lease is great for people that typically put every dollar they spend on a rewards card.

1 Like

$3k is common. But anywhere from $1k to maybe $6k depending on the dealer. These days dealers gave more leverage so they may have less of a motivation to allow this so they can save on the CC fees.

There’s a roughly 2.9% credit card processing fee for a dealer to consider as well as inherent risk.

1 Like

It had happened to me last time I leased, I traded in a old E90 and the one pay came out to $1500, but the finance guy said the card limit was $1000. Funny thing is that they didn’t even care and took another $500 off, obviously no complaint from me.

2 Likes

Taking off 100% of $500 to save 3-4% of $500… math checks out.

2 Likes

Works for me, I offered to go home get my check book but they insist that I go in and pay by credit card, then they went from $1500 to $1000 drive off. They must really try to get rid of the i3, but it was not even last day of the month. It was like the 26th or something.

Probably just policy and it was easier for them to discount another $500.

Was this recently? It’s getting difficult to find an i3.

Oh no, it was back in 2019 for an i3 Rex, I really liked that car, but after covid I transferred it to someone on this site, it worked out to be low $200’s per month for my payment.

1 Like

I personally did two General Motors One Pay leases in 2020. They were both in the $5,000 to $6,000 dollar range. The first one I was told that they had a hard $2,500 limit on credit cards. I was able to convince them to take it for the full amount by offering to split the merchant fee with them. The second one was a similar scenario but they had no problem whatsoever with splitting the transaction across two separate cards, no other conditions.

2 Likes