CPO Porsche Cayenne

So I have the opportunity to buy a 84K MSRP 2022 CPO Cayenne with 5K miles for around 71K. I’m using 55% RV to be conservative so I’m getting around 46K exit value in 3 years which puts my cost of ownership around 24K ignoring interest, maintenance and taxes. CPO gives me some extra warranty so i could probably keep it an extra year. My benchmark is BMW X5 lease which will cost me about 34K for 3 years. What do you guys think?

The money factor on the lease will probably be pretty high. If you end game is to buy it out at the end why not just buy it now?

Build sheet?

The MSRP is not useful to figure out if this is a desirable build or not.

And why are you ignoring interest and taxes? All those numbers should be on the table.

1 Like

I was just trying to do some quick math

It has the following options:
Metallic color: 800
premium package plus: 8,950
21’ wheels: 3,830
Delivery: 1,350
MSRP: 83,9XX

Taxes will be around 5,700, so looks like 29K before interest assuming my 55% RV is accurate.
I still need to figure out the interest part. I will probably try to refinance with some lower cost credit union. I will be financing around 45K

That is a very basic build. Probably just premium package, maybe 20" wheels. Most of ours are $90k+. $87k on the low end.

1 Like

Premium plus, 21” wheels and metallic paint.

That is a nice build but no heated steering wheel and surround-view camera hurts. Also a great price for that Cayenne. Guessing resale value is tough in this market especially since you will probably need brakes/tires/major service in 3 years. I think that car will be worth more towards 50% in 3 years from now.

3 Likes

Heated steering may not be as much of an issue in AZ but I wish it had surround view.

You’re splitting hairs on cost of ownership. Any luxury SUV is going to be severely depreciated after 3-4 years. End up buying the one you enjoy the most.

If you need cargo space but don’t need the stupid “off-road” ride height, maybe consider a Panamera. They hold values better than Cayennes.

3 Likes

The back seat of the Panamera doesn’t appear very dog friendly. I need a full bench type seat for my lab.

Are you confident that the Porsche will be worth $46K in 3 years? I went down this rabbit hole a month or so ago, learned the bottom falls out of these very quickly — I assume folks in the market for them want to buy new (or very lightly used).

Are you basing your projected residual values on current market conditions? In three years the market will look vastly different from what it has been the previous two years. I don’t think the cayenne will be worth that much as Wam has already said, this is a basic cayenne.

You don’t buy a Cayenne (or any lux SUV as was already said) and worry about what it will be worth in a few years. I owned a 2nd gen Cayenne, drove the s**t out of it and took a beating at the end of three years but loved every minute of it. Money not well spent that was in the end indeed well spent.

As was also said - buy it and enjoy it while you drive it. To mess around with automotive purchases like this at $70k (or more) you are already past a certain pain threshold on your outlay and monthly nut, and if you are overly worried about depreciation, mileage, interest, taxes, maintenance and insurance then you need to think again about where you are financially on that nut.

3 Likes

Am I confident in the 55%? Not really. That’s probably the main reason for my post. But can I be that far off? BMW X5 RV is 53% and I believe the Cayenne RV is around 55%. I will probably drive about 5K miles per year max, so in three years it will have about 20K miles. And since it’s a CPO it will have more than 2 years warranty left.

I see, hopefully you’re not basing one car’s RV on what the bank says another car’s RV is. They can be inflated.

I believe real-world Cayenne RV after 4 model years to likely be closer to 50% or lower. But there are people on this site who actually track that for banks, so I may be wrong.

1 Like