Costco Promotional Membership (Good Timing for GM Holiday Event)

Costco is a disease!

Completely agree with the premise and I have the same illness.

We once had to put a self-imposed moratorium on laundry detergent purchases, and it took us at least six years to run out. I only recently started buying it again.

I also went almost a decade without buying a bar of soap thanks to all of the surplus hotel soap from business travel. I eventually married someone with a strong brand preference for a particular soap, so that went out the window almost immediately. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Its a disease once you step into Costco even you are not a member yet!
My wife brought the groupon deal as I showed her yesterday. We redeemed it and went to Costco to start the $60 membership, then the customer service keep telling my wife that she will get all these benefits if she upgraded to executive member. So we end up paying $120 for the executive membership plus she applied their credit card. :joy:

1 Like

Until last week Iā€™d never noticed the small selection of Prime beef (almost all of their beef, at least at the store we frequent, is Choice).

I bought some Prime NY strips, which were outstanding. :cow:

I recommend the Costco/Citi Visa rewards card. One of the best rewards cards available. Check out the perks ā€¦

https://www.citi.com/credit-cards/credit-card-details/citi.action?ID=Citi-costco-anywhere-visa-credit-card

The Cashback makes worth upgrading to executive membership if you plan to shop a lot at Costco which will happen once you step in ;). And good decision on credit card because it has really good cashback perks.

Yea, I know. But it was funny that before we step in, my wife was like: we going only do gold star membership, and will see if the upgrade and credit card make sense later. But then she get all them right after the Costco employee said " you only get these benefit if you do it today" lol

This is a good card if simplicity is your main objective.

There are better cards for every one of these categories, though, if youā€™re willing to juggle a few cards to maximize your return.

Iā€™m getting 3.5% back on Costco purchases from my Bank of America Cash Rewards Visa, for example.

1 Like

Agreed. Amex Blue is 5% gas stations and grocery stories 365 days a week.

Oh sorry is mentioning Amex flaunting my ā€œwealthā€ :man_facepalming:

2 Likes

Is this card still available? Iā€™ve been looking around for the best gas card.

I work from home 90% of the time so I donā€™t use a lot of gas, but this category is an obvious gap in my card portfolio.

PenFed used to have a 5% gas card, which is no longer available.

If you shop at costco, you definitely need a large trunk, like that on a 7 series bmw. Come to think of it, maybe need a Chevy suburban

1 Like

I use this card solely for gas. Canā€™t beat no fee 4%. And can actually be used at Costco gas :wink:

Shopping at Costco and navigating their parking lots is a nightmare. Itā€™s always busy. I despise going there.

Iā€™d rather pay a little extra and go to my local supermarket or target.

1 Like

5.25% back on gas at the Platinum Honors relationship tier when you choose gas as your "3% category). 4.5% at the Platinum level. No annual fee.

I have this card but Iā€™ve chosen online shopping for my ā€œ3% categoryā€ because we spend more in that category.

You can have multiple cards with their 3/2/1 structure where you can choose your 3% category, and thatā€™s probably what Iā€™ll do for gas.

Donā€™t forget about the hordes of mouth breathers crashing their carts into your ankles on their way to grab a free sample of organic acorn mayonnaise.

1 Like

You have to have what, $100,000 with BOA for that to work though :slight_smile: You donā€™t have to have any money for utilizing 4% from Citi Costco :wink:

Only $50k for Platinum, and Merrill account balances count.

1 Like

Not bad. Might actually switch to BOA. Currently have an old good chase unlimited + reserve and amex gold, but I am thinking boa with 4.5% cash back on online purchases is way way better bc I spend tons in that category.

This is my dining card (4X MRs / $), but Iā€™m canceling it just prior to the next annual fee now that I can no longer use the airline fee credits (airline gift cards no longer trigger the credit).

Canā€™t justify the fee without this.

1 Like

Thereā€™re few data points of it still working, but I am in the same boat. Will be cancelling unless I find a way to still use $100 airline fee credit

1 Like