Costco discount on Honda

A local dealer here gave me the Costco member price on a few different vehicles I am looking at. I was a little surprised that the CMPP was only $500 less and MSRP, which seems low. Costco pricing, I thought, was usually better than that. Or is that just the market right now?

Costco pricing has never been special. It’s typically always been better to negotiate on your own.

3 Likes

Most cars do not lease well. This is truer now than it has ever been. Which means you cannot start your search with a particular car or cars in mind, and then find a way to make them lease well.

It will be like pushing a boulder uphill while pulling teeth, and you’ll still probably have a bad deal in the end. You need to start your search by filtering only the vehicles that are leasing well right now and offer good value per dollar.

Check out the “Share a Deal” and “Marketplace” sections of LH forums to decide what’s leasing well and pick a vehicle that is already proven to offer good value.

Remember, there are no magic wands that can save a deal from poor programs (RV, MF, and incentives) and/or poor discounts.

How do you know this is true, and perhaps more importantly, why would that even be the right benchmark?

Last time I was lease shopping, the offers I got from Costco’s auto buying program were absolutely atrocious compared to what the market was doing on my target vehicle.

There are two different Costco programs that get discussed. There’s this, which is basically a truecar lead and is usually useless, and there’s the manufacturer targeted bonus incentives which change roughly every quarter. The bonus incentives are great additions to a deal and essentially the only useful Costco program.

1 Like

My brother, who used to work in the finance department for one of the local Honda dealerships, asked someone he knows that is still at the dealership, and they said because of the market right now, everything is selling at or above MSRP. There is really no negotiating.

@trism, I reached out to Costco who put me in touch with the dealership. I cannot absolutely guarantee they quoted me the CMPP, as I didn’t see a physical pricing sheet. However, I can’t imagine they would have made it up, as it could be very bad for them if it ever got back to Costco that they were not giving the Costco price to people purchasing through the Costco auto program.

I only asked because I’ve been offered “Costco pricing” at dealerships without even bringing it up, and I wasn’t even a member. I wrote it off as a sales tactic.

But like I said, the offers I got through Costco’s auto buying program were so laughably bad I almost lost my mud. (And this was 2019).

The offers were equivalent to a dealer discount of 3-4% with no incentives applied, and they had aftermarket floor mats and something else stupid tacked on.

I ended up going on my own and got > 20% off (there was a lot of trunk money).

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.