Cost to charge electric battery

Got it. My charge has a regular plug that I plug into the wall.

So you don’t have the BMW TurboCord?

I have to check. What the standard equipment is that came the a bmw 530e

I don’t believe LADWP has income qualification restrictions on the $500 charger rebate. At least none I could find on the T&C’s.

You’re right! I was thinking of AQMD rebate which is 250/500.
Now the big question…are they stackable? I don’t see why you couldn’t get both…this is ridiculous…they pay you to get the charger installed!

http://www.aqmd.gov/home/programs/community/community-detail?title=ev-charging-incentive

1 Like

I wish we had electric company rebates here in TX but seeing what you CA folks pay for electric, I’ll just keep my cheap electric rates instead. Couldn’t imagine paying 20c+ per kw!

Lol…you think that’s bad? One was complaining that he was paying +40c in SD. Pretty much everywhere you can get a TOU and charge at 12-13c…As i said, on ev you have to want to pay more than on gas…and evidently some do.

1 Like

Yeah. I’ve estimated that at my rate I’ll be paying about $4.30 per full charge (52kwh adjusted for EVSE loss) on my newest acquisition for 170-200mi range. Sounds pretty sweet to me.

2 Likes

Standard charging cable that comes with the car is 110v. You have to buy a 220/240v level 2 charger. $500 at BMW for their turbocord, or $200 and up if you buy off-brand online or elsewhere. For the 530e you’ll need the Nema 6-20 adapter as well (looks like a winking face)

2 Likes

Costco has a sale on L2 chargers. @JamesBond I’d recommend getting a 32 amp or higher even though the current 530e doesn’t support it, your next car probably will. Doesn’t cost much more either. I have an outlet installed with a ChargePoint home EVSE, did it about 3 years ago and love it.

1 Like

Thanks. I search costco and seeing VersiCharge LVL 2 Universal Electric Vehicle Charge. That’s the one?

Unfortunately manufacturers don’t find it important to educate their customers when it comes to charging/ charging times/ charging equipment so check Tesla’s webpage for a detailed presentation. You will see the different type of outlets and how amp affects charging times…just to get an idea.

1 Like

Perfect. Thanks.

What’s the Costco price (not currently a member)? I assume you’re talking about the Siemens one?

$459 includes shipping

For that type of $ i would recommend JuiceBox or ClipperCreek…both are in CA and have a quality product and tradition. If an atomic bomb drops on my garage the only thing standing will be my first generation JuiceBox charger.

Costco sells the JuiceBox now as well and they recently had a discount.

1 Like

Looks like the AQMD rebate needs proof that the 240 outlet had permits pulled… :confused:

1 Like

Did a little checking and from “empty” the 5e is taking about 9kw (L2 installation on a Clipper Creek LCS-30) in actual power usage to charge and drives 18-20 city on that charge. (So about a half gallon of gas savings)

Cost per charge, a paltry .75c compared to $2.60-$3.00/gal premium fuel so half cost driving on electric. Charging the car through the ICE is actually fairly fast but defeats the purpose of saving fuel.

I filled up at Costco today and I think it was about 3.75 per gal. So half a tank will be 1.87.
How much do you pay per kwh? I think ours is .17-20 cents so .20x9 = $1.8. Not very impressive.