Cosigning Lease

Many reasons why one pay not desirable. Run a search. Well documented.

One pays do not typically put the money at risk of totalling in the same manner as putting large amounts upfront do.

3 Likes

hence my comment lol.

1 Like

Speaking from personal experience here. Having a family co-signer when I had little to no credit history (low low 700s) while in school and limited income worked out really well for me, with no cons for the co-signer. We didn’t run into any issues with MF marked up thru the roof. Truthfully I believe they based it on my co-signers 800+ score. It was just a simple 250/month vehicle for me. I built credit history which allowed me to obtain a new lease fresh out of school when I had a job. As many have said if he can’t make the payments, they are on you. Up to your financial situation if that’s something you can handle given worst case scenario.

Since you’re considering a relatively inexpensive lease I wouldn’t worry to much about the MF. Just push to have it based on your credit score, or an average of the two. Tier 1 to Tier 2 honestly shouldn’t add more than a couple hundred dollars over the full term on a $200/month lease.

Very helpful!

I’ll look into it thx!

Don’t cop out.

1 Like

Might want to search yourself, bud. One-pays are generally pro-rated in the event of a total loss. It’s not at all the same thing as a large down payment.

I don’t think anyone here is confusing a large down payment with a one-pay. There are a number of reasons why one-pays are a poor allocation of money, not the least of which you could stick that money in a standard interest bearing account and come out further ahead over the lease term. It’s just a poor choice for people that otherwise have many. If you feel differently, by all means, may all your future leases be one-pay leases.

Do you know that many lenders offer MF reduction on one pay leases so there are savings?

2 Likes

Of all the many “well documented” reasons, that’s the only one you chose to stand behind?

But ok, let’s dig into that. Broad sweeping generalizations are kinda useless, so which captive are you talking about? What’s the MF reduction they offer? And what’s the exact savings on a 3yr lease vs your standard interest-bearing account?

1 Like

Oh look, another person that has no idea how leases work.

2 Likes

The math does not support your opinion.

I have a question also. So I have a 600 credit score but my parents are like 770-840. I have good income and just started to fix my stuff.

Could my parents co-sign so I get the best lease deal?

Yes they certainly could. Great way to build your credit too. Negotiate lease numbers first before you get to financing. Then if anything comes back from financing that’s less than favorable, just tell the dealer you still want the numbers you agreed to and they can make adjustments in the deal on their end to make it happen, or you’ll walk. Way back when, I always told them no problem if I’m not tier 1. Get me approved at 2. But I’m not paying anymore than what we agreed to on the deal sheet.

This is ridiculous advice. If a deal is based OAC, why is it the dealer’s fault that you have bad credit?

1 Like

“This is ridiculous advice”

That’s not the point I was making. It’s not the dealers fault. I have never had bad credit; but I was just suggesting that everything can be negotiated if dealer wants to move a car. As a buyer, I think it’s great to keep the power in our hands when making a deal.

I think it’s great advice. If you don’t, then don’t use it.

You seem angry. It’s a discussion with differing points of view. And on that note, I honestly do not know how some trusted users have mod ops when you talk to people this way @admins

What, tagging Michael didn’t work for you?

2 Likes

28 days in, you have some interesting opinions about how things should work here, besides being a snitch.

How many years did you work F&I again? Or broker mortgages? Call your credit buyer for an exception?

That makes one of you.

1 Like

It’s sad that you have the privileges that you do. You’re obviously not here to help anyone. You just entered this discussion (which you weren’t even involved in) to pick a fight.

@admins @michael