Cosigning Lease

I don’t like operating in grey areas. To each their own.

What did MB Financial say when you told them you gave a friend who isn’t on the lease custody of their collateral?

1 Like

Loaded question :joy:

2 Likes

Yea, he should be primary with separate insurance.

Hypothetical question: If base MF of a lease is .0015 for 800 FICO, what do think it would be for a 650? In other words if I can get it for $200 what do you suppose it would be for him?

Just curious how your adult brother (who must be at least in his 40s after living overseas for “decades”) with no income is planning on surviving here? I guess he must have a decent amount of $$ saved. So, maybe one pay will help.

1 Like

One pays are not good ideas. Not sure why anyone would suggest that, especially you

1 Like

Your suggestions are better, of course. And you are not even trusted. I get it.

2 Likes

We’re guessing because we don’t know what bureau that hypothetical 650 is from and which scoring algorithm was used

You would need to ask someone with a Hyundai or Subaru rate sheet. Chase probably won’t lease to him, HFS I’m guessing would be Tier 3. I don’t know what the buy rate is and what the guidelines allow F&I to bump that anymore. The issue at 650 is more expectation of return of collateral than expectation of repayment.

Edit: if he has no income the credit score isn’t going to be an issue or not. He isn’t getting approved on his own for a lease.

Used Honda/Toyota/Hyundai

These are questions really for the dealer. But you can turn it around as negotiating tactic. Tell them that you understand even with you co-signing, brother might not get as favorable financing terms; however, xx.xx is what you’re willing to pay and no more. The dealer can discount the vehicle to compensate if they want to move it.

If you’re arguing for a “one-pay,” I won’t say anything further. :+1:t2:

I’m not arguing for anything, just suggesting. OP asked about pros and cons of cosigning. One pay at least takes him off the hook for lease payments if he co-signs. Makes sense now?

1 Like

Sure that’s true. But then if his brother totals the vehicle? :man_shrugging:t2:

Totaling would be the best case scenario for OP assuming their lease includes GAP. If his brother trashes the car and doesn’t fix it then sure, OP would still be responsible. But my point was to remove the highest financial risk for OP, which is payments.

1 Like

Yes. He favors leasing because of new and preservation of capital. He is not without means. I actually suggested a used toyota and sell it with minimal depreciation after grad school. Takes me off the hook but he’s dependable so I’m not worried about the risk. So bottom line is gonna get screwed by jacked up MF. I’m gonna tell him to buy a used 10 year old camry

1 Like

No, that’s only part of what I said.

Good luck, OP.

Why is that?

1 Like

I didn’t even want to go there :grin:

2 Likes

How about OP leases the car, and the Brother gives OP the full amount of the OnePay. OP holds that money in a savings account and Brother carries full coverage? Spread the risk?

I am a co-signer on my sisters lease. She was just starting out with no credit and no auto loan history. 2 years in her credit is awesome and when the lease is up next year she can get her own car. She has her own insurance and the registration is in both our names. Any changes regarding the lease has to go through me as I’m the primary. Best of luck.

so you are arguing against a one pay because if he totals it he loses all his money? :thinking:

1 Like