Coronavirus vaccine testing begins

I haven’t had much time to search, but any idea why an American company is testing people in… Australia???

Screen Shot 2020-05-26 at 4.15.01 PM

3 Likes

I saw this too and wondered if it is because they are at the end of fall now (Southern Hemisphere) vs the US heading into summer? I am not a biotech person so that is just my thought!!

So cynical! Although I have to admit that the thought crossed by mind, too.

Nor am I. I thought someone on the forum might be and could weigh in. :slight_smile:

1 Like

If your ancestors are criminals does that mean the crime rate is a lot higher or does that mean crime rate is a lot lower cause eye for an eye? :thinking:

Not a biotech person here either, but maybe Australia has more lax standards when it comes to vaccine testing compared to the US?

Life as we know it, will never be the same…
Or so I read every other minute!

1 Like

I’d imagine it’s because of tort law in the US that limits the ability to do vaccine testing quickly.

It could also be that Australia has many areas of very isolated populations, so doing controlled studies may be way easier.

Vaccines are exempt from lawsuits and I’d imagine anything being tested requires some signing of paperwork

Go poop on the other thread! This is a squeaky-clean, sparkling-new, totally optimistic thread! Aside from the whole testing-on-people-who-are-less-likely to part of it…

Yeah, I was thinking that, as well.

In terms of the isolated populations… It makes for more “pure” experimental conditions, but I also wonder if it also limits the ability to study the vaccine’s efficacy (b/c how much are isolated populations going to be exposed to the virus).

1 Like

I wonder if it has anything to do with exposure to the virus. Researchers aren’t going to have valid studies if subjects aren’t exposed to the virus naturally (in the US - it’s against the law the purposely expose subjects here).

They would need a specific demographic where the infection rates haven’t slowed - preferably accelerating to assess for efficacy.

No IRB for academics or FDA? Most likely.

Also possible

Approved vaccines, yes. And they pay into the vaccine fund/risk pool. I don’t recall how that works for clinical trials, it’s been too long.

I’m sure clinical trails require you to sign your rights away

1 Like

Yeah bill Gates got his final solution. He’s prob chasing aborigines around the outback with a syringe right now.

1 Like

I think they kicked him out of Africa

1 Like