Considering a New Macan S - Should I Act Now?

I am about to buy a 2023 Macan S. I am getting 7%off MSRP and out of the door price of mine is $78k. I am trading in a car which has $25k equity and putting $8k additional down. I will end up financing $45k through my Credit union which gives me 6.5% for 84 month. Monthly payment $668. I am still debating if I want to spend that much on a car but this is for me a once in a life time opportunity to own a new porsche and believe me the Macan S is a real Porsche. This is going to be my daily driver with 15-18k miles per year on it. Again, I know financially this is not a very wise thing to buy a Porsche when you are not a millionaire but I think the payment I have is not really terrible. Would love to hear from the experts here! (Please talk me out of it :-|)

1 Like

Do it, YOLO

4 Likes

If you have a terminal illness or are aware of some other unavoidable imminent negative outcome, then you have a stronger case to do this.

Otherwise your last chance to get a new Macan would be probably be several months after they stop making them.

The $25,000 equity in your current car is real money that you could use for other things, including putting it in the bank while you think about this for six months.

It sounds to me like the money is burning a hole in your pocket, because it doesn’t feel like actual money.

Generally speaking, even if you opt for a longer term for other reasons, if you can’t afford a 36-month payment (some would argue 48) on a vehicle you’re looking at too much car.

And then don’t forget when it’s time to replace it you’ll have to step down into something you’ll most likely hate by comparison.

6 Likes

Seriously, if you’re going to spend so much time in it, it seems that splurging is justified and you’ll get a lot of benefit / happiness out of it.

I love cars but hardly drive at all, yet still tempted to get a second, third, etc. luxury car.

Mike, pay me 5k and I will slap you and play loud Porsche engine sounds any time you desire. Savings will be huge here.

14 Likes

Never thought anyone would be concerned about their last chance to own a MACAN

8 Likes

There’s no urgency for sure.

I like these a lot compared to other options in the segment.

1 Like

It’s a good discount so no problem there.

Only you know your personal situation so if you’re comfortable then go for it.

This is exactly things what I am considering. I am aware $78k is $78k independent how you put it together. Therefore I a am still debating. The question if I can afford a 36month payment, the question is of course. I pay off my cars within 1-3 years. I just want to have the peace of mind of a smaller payment in case things get tight for a short period of time.
In the same time when you consider people are paying $50k for 3 year lease, what I have is a bargain. I will pay around $24k in payments in 3 years. I am pretty sure this car will be still worth more than $55k and if I want to sell it I would have just paid the $24k. Consider the interest I could have make for my $33k as my lease down.

Again, Porsche is usually not a good money decision (unless you bought a rare 911 before the pandemic). We should also not forget about the running and maintenance cost.

Fact is, I can afford it. Question is if I want to “burn” my money that way or keep driving my hybrid and keep dreaming of Porsches…

If you’re dreaming of Porsches wouldn’t it be more sensible to buy a used 911 or 718 that will depreciate much less and be way more fun?

7 Likes

Exactly! I had a 911 C2S for awhile and sold it for more than sticker (I had paid much less than sticker). Crazy times.

That’s 8 months of a Porsche drive subscription. I would bet it’s out of your system in less time than that.

1 Like

Great point, one of the best advises!! Seriously, thank you! might consider this.

I need it as a daily driver with baby, otherwise you are right.

I thought 911 should have enough room for a baby.

Anyways, I wonder if there will be better deals when the new Macan EV comes out.

This sounds great … in theory.

Don’t mean to derail this thread any further, but have you put a reverse facing infant car seat in a Macan rear seat? Or a reverse facing convertible car seat back there? The rear seats of the Macan are very tight; I hope either you or your passenger are short because one of the front seats will need to be moved forward to accommodate a reverse seat. Give it a try with in the showroom before you commit…

2 Likes

I just checked and damn they increased the pricing for subscription like crazy…

It seems in this world there are 5 type of car people:

1. They don’t care and have the money and pay over $1000 bucks per month for a car
    1. They don’t care and really don’t have the money and still pay crazy amount on a car
    1. They look for deals, don’t want to spend too much for a car but they could afford an expensive car
    1. They look for deals because they really cant afford it
    1. They are too cheap and buy a super cheap used car (independent if they can afford it or not)

I think most people here (including myself) are category 3. It is still insane how much money people spend on cars…

BTW sorry to @Gpdriver to hijack your thread, I should have opened a separate thread.

I’d still take some time to think it over. In 30 minutes we’ve gone from $25k in equity / $8k down /84 month loan for a “once in a lifetime opportunity to buy a new Porsche” to “I have the money sitting right here.” :slight_smile: Might just be the limitations of communicating with strangers on a forum.

Either way, don’t fool yourself that there’s any urgency, and you’ll be more likely to make a better decision.

Good luck.

3 Likes