Computer Leasing - Anyone try to hack this yet?

Looking to see if anyone has any advise or hacking tricks for Dell Financial Services. This forum is all about using alternate payment methods combined with good negotiations to get a stellar deal. I am hoping someone has looked into this already.

Do you have the RV on the PC?

4 Likes

Slickdeals is that for you

What kind of computer you looking for?
Desktop or laptop?
What kind of use
Productivity or gaming?

LMAO, the RV is probably like 20% after 1 year.

1 Like

Dell employee discount can be stack on top of pretty much any promotion they have, you get additional 17% off.
Your best bet is to find someone who work for Dell or subsidiaries that can generate a code for you.
And wait for a good promotion from Dell

1 Like

I’d be hesitant to pay 20% for a brand new Dell. :sweat_smile:

5 Likes

I haven’t done the math in a few years, but it never made sense except for cashflow conscious companies who didn’t want to deal with equipment disposal/resale (said another way: companies that suck at managing their cash, or equipment, or both). The volume discounts through the big tech distributors more than pay for themselves, and many have credit facilities (Dell included).

I haven’t sold a PC in a while so I can’t say. For Macbooks with applecare, the RV between year 2 and 3 has been 50-60% the past 20+ years, depending on the model and condition. Like used cars, the less involvement you want in the sale, the less you net.

2 Likes

An industry insider here : Tech product leasing is not for consumers.

6 Likes

It’s a question from a mid-size company standpoint. We have 100 employees and have been leasing equipment for years. It keeps the equipment fresh and fast. In the engineering world computer speed is everything.

It’s great advice. Thanks.

At a certain scale (I suspect 100 is big enough) you can accomplish all your performance goals and get a lot more value by managing yourself. Usually capex on laptops is 3yr straight-line, but if you want to replace every 24 months for engineers/execs you can rotate to a different class of employee for Y3 or sell and recapture.

Typical best practice is 3yr replacement / buy 1/3 new every year. After they are deprecated you can resell (after data wipe) individually or bulk-sell to a 3PL that specializes. The “best” clients I had either gifted to employees or sold for next-to-nothing (great perk).

Dells financial instruments all do the job, it’s not subvented at all. Unless you are broke any corp can arrange better terms on big expenses. Once upon a time I sized and bought the big stuff (which distributors can better discount and also offer terms), now every company is half-pregnant with Azure and AWS. Not as financially efficient imo since it’s all expense, but the desired color of money to spend is up to CFO.

Apple’s leasing isn’t cheap but fully outsources the management of hardware (software is still you). I had one client choose it not because it was cheaper, but the local  store is now your depot (kids: what you now buy at Best Buy or on Amazon, previously might only be available in the sub-basement of a 100-year old building, behind a cage operated by GSA. No extra charge for the funky smell.)

1 Like

Laptops. Precision. I9-12900H, NVIDIA A2000 8GB; 32GB RAM, Touch Screen, SSD. They are about 3k each on sale with some deals. All for CAD and Engineering programs. I’m open to ideas.

1 Like

Are desktops out of the question?

No. But we collaborate and move around, meet in client offices etc.

An A2000 laptop, is it better than the consumer focused versions?. For Engineering, my friend has pushed his entire physics compute load + training scripts to a DigitalOcean server. He’s traveling light, with a small SFF PC, a MBP M1, and an M1 iPad pro.

1 Like

This is a very good set-up for CAD and engineering. I use an i7-11800, NVIDIA T1200, 16GB, and SSD. It works great but will struggle with CAD use (ACAD & Revit). I’d love to have yours! I will say no where I have worked used Dell computers though, only HP and Lenovo and they have been awesome. None of them are very light or sleek, but I could careless.

My unsolicited opinion is that a powerful computer and a quality monitor (or two) of good size is all people really need. Like you said, speed is everything. Multitasking is key. Portability really only matters if you literally spend most days on the move. Also, please please provide a good mouse to employees. I still see most people where I work using the $5 wired rollerball mouse that’s been around since 2000. A wireless gaming mouse is amazing for drafting or even general use. Binding typical commands to a few extra buttons makes life so much easier and definitely speeds things up.

You came to the right place " An automotive forum" then :slight_smile: …On a serious note, I can put you in contact with our financial services department. They shop for the best lease deals ( like the brokers here) across several lenders so you don’t have to.

We’ve considered this in the past and have had a team look into it. The biggest reason we keep the hardware is that we are a deadline based buisness and we want the control if there are connectivity issues or power outages. We may also have a licensing issue with programs like Revit and Bentley Engineering suites. I’m sure there is a way to do it, but we haven’t figured out how that works for us.

Cool idea. Thanks for sharing.

AMEX sometimes have Dell Credit which you will get if you were to charge it to the card. I believe Business AMEX Platinum has annual Dell credit.

$200 every 6 months. $400 annual

5 Likes

That’s really good feedback about the computer specs that we are choosing. Thanks.

I am very mobile. Always moving from home to sites to clients and office. Many of us are like that. We use docking stations and 2 screen set ups. I’m a track ball guy, but many of our CAD folks use the fancy mice with buttons. We even tried the “off to the side” pads that run scripts. I’ve found that a good macro or a script can help keep the clicks done on repetitive tasks; or an admin.