Completing lease paperwork when out of state

Does anyone know what the process is for completing a lease out of state? I’m in Florida and since no one wants to negotiate I’ve decided to look out of State. Found a deal in Kentucky but the dealer was insisting that I pay $699 for someone to come to my house for wet signatures. We were thinking of transporting the vehicle down or I fly up and drive back. Honestly I was figuring on using the $699+/- to transport the vehicle down here (closed container).

So my question is:

1. Is this $699 normal and the price of doing business with an out of state dealership?
  2. Does anyone know of any services that can do the signatures at a lower cost?
  3. Is it possible to do everything online and simply show up at the dealership with my ID?

If the dealer wants to use a notary service, you’re at the mercy of who they use. I was quoted for something similar in CA over the summer and it was less ($399 IIRC). I chose to just go get the car 2 hours away.

You have to decide how good the deal is. You could also fly in, sign, and still have it shipped.

Good luck.

Look for a similar deal in Atlanta and drive it home

1 Like

$0

just leased a michigan truck from pa , signed the drivers papers and he left

notary services were done by me here at local aaa

It depends on the dealer. Some require wet signatures, some don’t. Some will just FedEx the paperwork and you send it back. Others will send a mobile notary. You might also incur an extra cost, regardless, for the use of a title service to get the car registered out of state.

1 Like

Leasing a Land Rover from Kansas to Southern CA. Dealer wants to send paperwork to notary, my question is what is the paperwork needing a signature other than the lease contract?

Not surprising. Do you want a number of pages, or just curious how many places you sign (more than you would probably think)? It’s going to vary by state and dealer - the one you are working with can tell you, and the notary fee includes all of it.

Just bought a highlander via a broker. I did the credit app online, they approved me, FedEx’d the paperwork overnight to me, signed, used a local notary for the page they needed to be notarized, then FedEx’d it back.

Just waiting on the bank to find it and I’ll have a transport pick it up and deliver it.

1 Like

Likely just the lease contract and an additional notary form.

1 Like

Thanks for the response! I was just curious how much I’m going to have to sign. Since we completed the credit app online I’m assuming anything do to with that won’t be FedEx’d to random notaries :flushed: (at least that’s my hope).

California is my home state and where the car is coming, but I have no clue about any rules in Kansas.

1 Like

It’ll be FedEx’d to you. It’s your job to find a notary (typically your bank will have a notary that will do it for free)

Let us know when you do. There is POA/tag and title paperwork, lease contract, signing on the f&i menu to accept/decline, state recycling fees, etc etc. All depends what the dealer is required to do in their state AND for yours.

IIRC 12-20 depending in my experience :man_shrugging:t2:

1 Like

If you’re gonna go to Kentucky might as wel get a deal from the northeast. Known for the best deals in the country!

Might as well include the cars you want. Plenty of people will point you in the right direction here. My fee for out of state is less then $200 for the company that does tag work.