Complaint Against Car Dealership

Hi all,

Is there a way to complain against a car dealership? Any authority or consumer grievance which I can report to?
I am really fed up with my dealer. We got our BMW X1 a month and still havnt receieved our car plates and our full lease agreement. The temp car plates which were given to us have expired and we can no longer drive the car. Additionally, we signed a bunch of papers when we picked up the car but except for the one slip which details the car price, we dont have much. We dont have the full lease agreement where we can look into the terms of the agreement.

I would like to report against the dealers since I dont accept the ‘delays at DMV’ excuse they have been giving us. If anyone has any idea on where we can go, please advise. Thanks!

1 Like

I don’t think plates being issued from DMV is in their hand.

You should have had proper lease paperwork given to you, if not you can call bmw financial services and they can upload it online for you

1 Like

Which state’s DMV?

Why don’t you believe that? Lots of people working with lots of dealers are having this issue, particularly in states like NJ. The dealer can’t make the dmv issue the plates.

As for your contract, what did you sign? What paperwork did you receive?

4 Likes

Alright let’s go 1b1.

1. Plates, not up to the dealer. Dealers often use a registration service or runner / title service. It’s in their and the DMVs hands. Stop blaming the dealer for that.
  2. Temp plate, it’s fine. Drive the car, cops know what’s going on. You’re not the only person in this situation.

Again, they are not at fault. If you don’t like DMV delays, welcome to 2020 pt. 2

Lastly, contract is an issue, dealer should have a copy especially if this was recently, and should be able to make you a copy. You should have had something other than a four square or buyers order to leave the lot.

5 Likes

You can continue to drive your car with NJ temp tags

3 Likes

If you have proof of registration is paid just leave that in the car. Cops will understand in covid times.

Cant the NJ dealers issue you a new temp plate valid for another 30 to 60 days until you receive your actual plates ?

You sound like a nightmare of a customer for the plate situation. We’re in a pandemic. The police don’t give tickets for expired temp plates due to DMV delays. “Reporting” them for this is a waste of everyone’s time, including your own.

16 Likes

There are a lot of variables but this is not universally true or something a person should rely on.

Also, if you encounter an unsympathetic police you are statutorily screwed: NJ DMV license expiration, registration date is Dec. 31

Can we have a thread at the top about plates. Everyday with this

7 Likes

if that’s your only complaint against that dealer, they would move into my top 5 best dealers ever.

1 Like

You may want to get this figured out first. Call BMWFS and get a copy. There’s a whole bunch of paperwork you should have received, not just the lease agreement. If it’d were me, I’d want to know exactly what I’m in for first and then deal with the plates.

Did you sign electronically? Did you get a copy on a USB stick? Or was everything old-fashion pen/paper?

How did you sign something without knowing BEFORE what the terms of the agreement are?

Hint. You def signed a BMWFS lease contract, you prob just don’t know what it is.

DMV problems are not the dealers problem. Nothing to worry even if your temp tags expired as governors in NJ, PA, NY and CT all extended dates of expiration due to covid.

1 Like

I feel a little bit bad for the OP because this will become dozens of posts of everyone piling on her before it inevitably gets locked.

3 Likes

Any reasonable leo won’t issue for expired temp tags in jersey. Everyone knows about the dmv delays.

Unless of course you give them a reason to write you.

3 Likes

The intent certainly isn’t to pile on. I can appreciate when there are frustrations in a transaction and wanting to lash out wherever makes sense.

Most of the comments here are directed towards focusing that frustration in the right direction. Plates not coming from the dmv are only a dealership problem if the dealership has failed to provide the dmv with the proper documentation. If they havent done their job, then direct the frustration there. If that’s not what is going on, complaining against them isn’t productive as it isn’t their fault.

On the document side of things, it is difficult to understand if this is an issue with missing paperwork or with invalid expectations. Without more info, it’s yet to be shown if there even is a problem.

2 Likes

What race are you, Mike? You may have had very different experiences with leo than others!

There’s some bodycam footage you can see on YouTube if you still don’t get it.

5 Likes

10 posts were split to a new topic: Side discussion

@max_g Man 2 months maybe a long period for this thread :upside_down_face:

3 Likes