Compact to Mid Size SUV Recommendations - $50K - $60K budget

Looking to purchase a brand new Compact to Midsize SUV which is not an EV. What would you recommend? Something reliable for a long time and not egregiously expensive to maintain long term. Something with a larger display, Apple CarPlay (pretty standard at this point I think) and is AWD.

These are some that come to mind:

• BMW X3
  • Audi Q3/Q5
  • Mercedes Benz GLC 300
  • Toyota RAV4
  • Lexus NX/RX
  • Toyota Crown Signia
  • Acura MDX
  • Honda CRV
  • Cadillac XT4/XT5

Open to any and all suggestions. I’m not too sure how reliable and affordable German vehicles are to maintain long term. What about Japanese vehicles? Not a fan of American cars overall.

Reliable, cheaper to maintain - Toyota Rav4 or Lexus RX.

2 Likes

The Toyota Venza and Lexus NX350h would be my top two choices, if you are open to hybrids. The Venza is being discontinued this year, and there are some big discounts being offered (in So Cal).

From a long term maintenance perspective, are hybrids more costly and problematic or not really?

May I suggest a plug-in hybrid (PHEV), especially if you are able to charge at home (because the smaller batteries benefit from being charged daily). Basically the best of both worlds.

I already have a full EV the Benz EQE, so charging at home isn’t an issue. But it’s a lease so I’m not worried about long term battery issues and EV maintenance etc. hence I wasn’t really looking into PHEV as I thought the battery would be expensive to maintain down the line.

1 Like

Land Cruiser 1958

You could get into a CRV for under $400 a month. Same is true for a Grand Cherokee 4xe (American but quite nice) as leases. Cx90 as well.

If you want to purchase and drive until the wheels fall off honda/Acura, Toyota/Lexus is the way to go. Also worth looking at Telluride or Pallasade as a purchase and something that’s discounted reliable and holds value.

1 Like

Definitely a buy in cash, drive until the wheels fall off situation. Looking to purchase for my dad. Leaning towards a Japanese car. Just not sure which to go with.

What about Lexus rx 350? Someone got a good deal in NY

We have had a couple CRVs in the family…rock solid for several years.

Who? And where? I need to find them and get more info lol

Genesis GV70 would be a good choice… best looking midsize SUV out there… also has the best warranty coverage…

5 yr/60,000 mi basic, 10 yr/100,000 mi powertrain…

Resized_20220706_123151

….

2 Likes

Not to jump onto op thread but ive always wanted a Hyundai but im scared it might get stolen

Genesis dealership experience is not great (generally speaking) since many are next to their Hyundai counterparts. Hyundai/Genesis are clients of my company and we get their employee pricing. I went to my local Genesis dealer about a year ago, mentioned the vendor relationship and they basically blew us off not even letting us test drive the GV suvs.

The warranties are also hit or miss for the same reasons.

They’ve got beautiful cars but need to get that brand experience separated out.

1 Like

Same experience at Genesis and they wanted to charge me more for the GV80 then a loaded X3 on a lease. So yeah… lol

2024 4runner

WTF??? That’s awful. :stuck_out_tongue:

That’s crazy, no wonder there’s not much on the streets.

the Venza are being discontinued? My uncle was looking at one in socal and they only gave him $1K off msrp. What kind of discounts are you seeing and where in socal?