Coming soon - Ultimate hacking Machine for X7

2019 BMW X7: This ‘Driving Machine’ Isn’t Remotely ‘Ultimate’

But time has turned the golden phrase into lead weight around the company’s neck. The world is bored with driving, ultimate or otherwise. And BMW’s efforts to build what its global customers seem to want—like the garish, overweight, and underwhelming X7 sport-utility vehicle we are meeting today—plays like a repudiation of principle, if not a swift kick in the yarbles.

But first, a sketch: New for 2019, the X7 is built in Spartanburg, S.C., for global markets. It is a three-row, six- or seven-seat SUV, 9 inches longer and 500 pounds heavier than the company’s X5. U.S. customers will have a choice of either a turbo 3.0-liter inline-six (the 40i, 335 hp) or a twin-turbo 4.4-liter V8 (the 50i, 456 hp), backed up by the same 8-speed transmission and rear-biased permanent all-wheel drive. Prices will range from around $75,000 to $117,945 for our thoroughly optioned test car.

Stateside, the X7 will sell against segment-leader Audi Q7, Mercedes-Benz GLS, Infiniti QX80 and Tesla Model X, which for my money makes the rest feel like high-priced relics.

But from the moment the X7 concept broke cover, just before the 2017 Frankfurt Motor Show, it was obvious the mega-ute was aimed at, and designed for, China, where European luxury SUVs are potent status symbols among the rising affluent class. The X7 delivers face that can be seen for miles, thanks to its huge, double-lobed grille, the buck teeth of a dragon.

The X7 thus inherits its imposing size from one market and its godless materialism from the other. I’m not saying which is which.

Many intenders in this segment would only want to know whether the X7 has Apple CarPlay (yes) and Android Auto (no). Others may be fascinated by the Swarovski crystal accents on gearshift, rotary controller and volume knob, the décor equivalent of pinkie rings.

2 Likes

Hey Ursus - swarovski crystal gearshift - remind me which other model had this (hint it bombed)…

1 Like

Nice write up. Thanks @vhooloo

1 Like

lol nice copy and paste - full article is here for anyone interested

2 Likes

To be fair…that’s a WSJ article behind a paywall.

4 Likes

2 posts were split to a new topic: Help with BMW x7 Lease structure

I can remind you to at least post credits when copy/pasting.

1 Like

@vhooloo what was this post for? I’m so confused. :neutral_face:

It’s just another opinion piece in a line of opinion pieces. WSJ doesn’t like it…Motor Trend disagrees.

@vhooloo cite your sources !

What is this - US history 9th grade - 5 marks deducted for not citing sources…
And if anybody thought I had written it, then they deserve to buy Swarovski/okafor crystal shifter knobs …

1 Like

Can’t see past the paywall, but WSJ would have a fair critique in saying that the X7 is made solely to pander to China’s new wealthy.

What I see is a car that was given very high remarks by Consumer Reports (a group that is extremely difficult to please)…

• “The 2019 BMW X7 builds upon much of what makes its little brother X5 CR’s top-rated luxury midsized SUV.” - Sources cited here

Their take on the X5 that it is compared to…

• “After we put the redesigned BMW X5 through our test program, there was no debate: it’s among the best SUVs we’ve tested. - Sources cited here

That’s umm…a pretty solid opinion if you ask me. :+1:

They also loved and recommended Tesla Model 3, until they didn’t lol

Agree. Love to get either, but right now both are nearly unhackable.

I don’t have anything but intuition to base it on, but I think the demand right now for both the X7 and especially X5 is extremely high. GLE goes back in December, and since the remodeled one is only a 2020, I think my odds of hacking a 19 X5 will be better (than 20 GLE) when mine goes back. I’d like to hack one for around $500 a month, and using all my resources and abilities, the only remote chance I think I have will be either in late November or December, when they try to push the majority of remaining 19s, and it will still be extremely difficult, if even possible.

Furthermore, the author of this article loses credibility to me when he puts the ugliest SUV at the top of the pyramid. The X is built on an S platform, everyone I knew personally who has had one has hated it (3 people, obviously anecdotal), and it’s just outright hideous. Regardless of price, give me an X7 or even an X5 over an X everyday of the week.

All good points @212hackr

And you’re correct on this one when you said “if even possible” because it wont be. You can look at the most hacked 2018 X5’s (which was a 5 year old body style) and even that model wasn’t there until the very last few units. The deal I did below was one of the best and most requested deals to be replicated and it was certainly a one-off that was never again available:

I think if we can get more factory support and push the new X5’s into the low-6xx range that would be insane! Right now I’m already in the 6xx range on brand-new ones as long as you do 7 MSD’s and apply the CCA rebate as well. Considering how amazing the new iDrive7.0 is and all the new BMW tech, these are great deals now!

2 Likes

What the **** is this thread?

1 Like

A waste of time