Clickbait "study" says 1 in 5 EV owners in California switched back to gas because charging their cars is a hassle

If you dive into the study details, it’s actually 1 in 5 of a small sample size of fiat 500e owners from several years ago that never had l2 charging switched back to ice.

4 Likes

But the title says everything one needs to know lol

7 Likes

Better title: 4 out of 5 owners of the crappy 500e who couldn’t charge at home still stuck with electric cars. As someone who switched to electric, I can’t ever imagine go back.

1 Like

Even taking the flawed sample into account I would say that an 80% take rate for the concept of a mainstream electric vehicle is pretty good.

1 Like

True, although one could make an argument that it’s a non-representational sample as it’s basically made entirely of early adopters that went out of their way to get a compliance vehicle.

1 Like

5 Likes

with L2 at home and 60 mile daily commute I think my Bolt is a perfect daily, its my first electric and my first hatch back and use the crap out of it, more then i ever used my jeeps or trucks.

1 pedal driving alone makes a huge difference in traffic fatigue, I really wouldn’t want to commute with a gas car again.

2 Likes

I currently use L1 charging with my Bolts. I’m waiting for NJ to release details about the charger rebate before I upgrade to L2. I’ve been doing this for close to a year and a half and I have encountered zero issues whatsoever with range. I’m usually driving around 12 to 15 miles or so a day for commuting so it works out fine. This week I had to run an errand that was about 200 miles total and I still had around 30 miles of range left. I just topped it off overnight afterwards and kept going about my usual routine. L2 would definitely be preferable but with proper management many people could get by with L1 just fine.

1 Like

I love this - means more free Bolts and Etrons on the way for those of us who prefer the ignominy of charging at home rather than pumping gas in those luxurious gas stations!!! :santa: :oncoming_automobile: :moneybag: :rocket: :rocket:

1 Like

It just goes to show how well electric cars are sticking. Even a whopping 80% of 500e early adopters chose to stay electric. Phenomenal retention rate. I’d love to see what percentage of people stay electric now with L2 chargers and more modern EVs.

1 Like

That or people that chose to go with a 500e despite all its shortcomings were all in on EVs already and fiat still managed to scare 20% away.

4 Likes

Or maybe those people had a baby and bought a Sub.

One day someone will make an EV van for people with their first child

2 Likes

I am now 100% All electric on vehicles… I have yet to “pay” for charging my Tesla 3 or Bolt (local L2 FREE charging near my home/work) Still have the FREE $1,000 EvGo charge card and some miles left on the Tesla FREE 1000 miles (cost $10 to full charge single motor T3 at local Supercharger)
Even without available home charging I wasn’t really worried/anxious about the charging part as I knew my options before I got the cars and the gas savings is great too-more $$$ for travel :crazy_face:

Story checks out - Ascent has the mandatory 1st kid 3rd row.

1 Like

This article is bogus as the BOLT will NOT charge to 300 miles haha (just read it)

wow 1 of 5 500e (which is no longer made) went back to gas?

Nice. That means 80% of the people who went into a sub $100 /month car went into a much higher payment EV.