Choose the Best Value Option

I have three offers on the table as I contemplate cashing out my equity on my current car (purchased, not leased) and get back to leasing. I am not asking for car advice per se, I am looking your value advice. There is a good chance I will sell this leased vehicle in a year or even sooner so breaking even or potentially making money is my priority along with getting the highest offer on my trade. Speaking of my trade, I collected a dozen or more offers on it, $54k-$57k seems to be the range if I am not buying a new car in the transaction.

1. CX-90 PHEV Premium Plus - $1.5k dealer discount and $7.5k lease cash, $59k for my trade

2. NX450h+ - MSRP and $7.5k lease cash, $59k for my trade

3. RZ450e - $4K dealer discount and $10k lease cash, $58k for my trade

MSRP on all three cars are around $60k and they are all eligible for $5k state incentive in my case. I am focusing on leases through Toyota Finance so that selling to third party is an option to maximize my exit price. Again, monthly payment is not the priority, I am looking to place a bet on which of three will have the highest selling price in relation to the lease payoff within a year.

Then take the Mazda off the table.

Just because the lease is with TFS doesn’t mean it has equity.

3 Likes

I’m going to guess NX.

The Mazda may have first-year model issues that may lower resale value (and Mazdas tend not to have as good a resale value as Toyota/Lexus)

Full EVs in general don’t have great resale value (outside of Tesla?). I don’t if I’ve even seen an RZ on the road. Reviews have not been kind to it (relatively poor range and tech). I suspect Lexus may still be offering incentives in the future.

The NX has an ICE for those who may not be ready to move to an EV and is a nice, tidy size, so I think it will have the broadest appeal for resale.

2 Likes

I chose the NX, I don’t like the RZ’s platform for a variety of factors (battery, charging speed, etc.)

Don’t count on that in the future. Hot streak fallacy means what’s happening now might not happen in the future.

3 Likes

Even the Lexus Dealers think the RZ450e is a lame duck. I thought so too during my test drives.

The NX is a good choice.

I’m guessing RX is off the table? I loved my RX a few years back.

2 Likes

Definitely the NX.

4 Likes

There is no question that the NX plug-in is the play here in CO (and likely every other market). Lexus hybrids are always in demand here and especially the NX. Used options don’t last long on dealer lots.

Not sure if it would necessarily put you in a better financial position in a year but you can also lease through local credit unions (i.e. Bellco) They’re even easier to work with when it comes to lease buyouts.

1 Like

I don’t disagree, but it’s TFS/LFS - we are always at the mercy of the individuals companies who have the ability to change policy at any time.

I am focusing on Toyota Finance because they allow third party lease buyouts, what is the hot streak you are referring to?

I focus on TFS for the freedom of third party lease buyout and for passing on the federal tax credit on leases.

I will try the new RX PHEV as well but hard to find one available since it is such a new model. I need a PHEV or EV so that I can get the $5k state plus federal tax credit lease incentives to give me the depreciation buffer.

Recent trends with cars having instant or lease end equity and in a way to companies allowing buyouts, in a ‘post-covid’ world we are at their discretion.

Looks like I also have the same lease at MSRP and trade my BMW at $59k option for the new RX PHEV as well. I am thinking that might be the best play here since the RX is the most popular Lexus model and the PHEV trim has just been introduced (NX PHEV is now in its second model year I think). Please chime in, looks like I need to move fast before the cars are potentially taken…

Seems like the consensus is the NX.

Does the RX have any rebates?

Yep, the same $7.5k as the NX plus the same $5k from the state for me

Then, yes, I would go w/ the RX.

OP here. It actually ended up better than I hoped. Getting the RX PHEV with .0004 MF mark up and nearly $3k discount upfront while getting the max value for my trade. Thanks everyone for chiming in…

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.