Chevy Volt LT... Did I earn the title of Electric Eliminator? (8300 one pay, 36/15 with XS wear)

Yeah, I used one in the past on a Prius Plug in and it seemed to work OK in a semi public parking garage. This is street parking in front of my house. I live in a decent neighborhood and all so I’m probably not running much risk of anything, but you never know. We do get a few scavenger types roaming around on the weekends in beat up pickups looking for crap that people are throwing away. I don’t know the scrap value of copper off the top of my head, but I’m sure that they do, especially the less scrupulous among them.

You could always set up a dash cam as further deterrent and then put a laminated sign saying smile you’re on camera on the charger handle

1 Like

It would be awkward, but you may be able to lock a piece of the cord in the hatch.

I hear you on the scrappers. Anything of even moderate value that goes out on the curb here, is gone before trash collection get’s to it.

1 Like

When I moved into the house I had old cast iron sewer pipes that needed replacement with PVC. Contractor told me that he was just going to leave the old pipes on the curb, since it usually doesn’t last long. It was gone within hours.

1 Like

So my wife takes the car out for the first time today… I got a message on the app about low psi on one of the tires, I figured no big whoop, the dealer must not have had them set to spec. At dinner she says “You’ll be really proud of me, I saw a low tire pressure warning and I pulled into a gas station and took care of it… It was only 75 cents and I filled it up.” I check the app… Front driver’s side tire is reading FIFTY FIVE PSI. Needless to say I’m over at my nearest station waiting to use theirs where they let you set the psi. Hopefully it can take air out of tires as well as put air in…

Always have those tire inflator on all my cars. Bought a good one on sale for $30 at autozone. Dont trust anyone or even the paid air compressor where you put coins to give accurate pressure.
Volt doesnt come with one? I know some cars do.

I usually go to Wawa (local gas and convenience store), they offer free digital air that’s usually pretty accurate. It wasn’t the inflator that was the problem. My wife literally put three minutes worth of air from a coin op compressor somewhere else thinking that’s what you need to do in order to fill the tire. If she didn’t tell me she probably would have had a blowout tomorrow. Oh, and she can’t find her keyfob either and needs to “borrow” mine. It’s probably with my Acadia keyfob somewhere that’s been gone for about 6 months now. This is why I got the service contract… This is why I got the service contract… This is why I got the service contract…

On the “bright” side I got to take it out in the dark for the first time with the headlights running… Holy crap those things are bright. I thought that the high beams got turned on somehow by mistake. They aren’t annoyingly bright, but the visibility was something I was not expecting.

Sounds like she needs the Bluetooth key locators. They work rather well actually and are worth every penny

1 Like

That’s actually a really good idea, I hadn’t thought of that. I’m hoping it’s in the house somewhere, she insists that she didn’t take it out with us that day since I was the one driving. We went to River Fest over at Arm & Hammer park. On the way out I swear I thought I heard something get dropped, I thought it might have been part of one of the kids’ toys or something, but I didn’t see anything on the ground when I turned to look, so I thought it mustn’t have been anything of ours. I reached out to see if there’s a lost and found, just in case. Otherwise, I’m definitely happy that I have key replacement. I’m just going to feel like an idiot having to use it so soon!

1 Like

Very nice! Looks to be about the same deal I was able to get in NY but I went with the monthly. Did the dealer give you any trouble negotiating down the selling price?

1 Like

They went with $30,000 before rebates as their first number… I didn’t have to negotiate anything lol. Final number was slightly higher but it was just a shell game making the totals work with the Flex cash and service contract. They honored the overall negotiated deal with no hassle at all.

1 Like

Wow, that is pretty surprising to me. Glad it worked out for you smoothly!

1 Like

Lucky you. I can smell a bs dealer a mile away. When you do the math say at $250/mo before talking to a dealer and you get a quote or talk to the manager or sales and they are so “happy” to sell you the car at $458/mo telling you some more bs like you hit the jackpot. Then when you negotiate further and this is what they tell you…

Swear to god that this sales pitch is still being taught in sales101 for the last 30 years!

Just to have some fun visited the be dealer which i explained in my other post and thats what i saw in some sales guy post it note. Same idiot dealer that doesnt have an L2 charger and selling ev cars. Came out laughing at the dealership and made my day! I wonder if that line still works today.

That story doesnt end there since they have my number :slight_smile: .

1 Like

Thing is, places keep operating this way because for the majority of people it works. This is a very emotional purchase for the majority of the public, and these types of sales tactics do work on a lot of them. Which is why I try to at least throw up a flag letting them know that I’m not going to be like that. That’s not even to say that I expect them to just give things away at that point, but at least tone down the pitch a little and talk real numbers. If we can make a deal, great. If not, we’ll keep it moving.

I knew that they maybe had 3 or 400 left in the car at that point, so instead of pushing and possibly gilding the lily I just went with it, keeping that knowledge in my back pocket for when it came to add ons in the finance office. Ended up being the right move, which I have to thank @MConte05 for, I got something good out of it and I didn’t end up looking like a bottom feeder that they would regret working with.

2 Likes

Congrats from a fellow Volt Owner (Gen 1 - 2014).

A few pointers (from the numerous posts on this thread):

1. Maintenance is almost non-existent. I have 89000! miles on my volt (NJ to Brooklyn commute) and forced myself to do the first oil change (which was free) … before it was due (as I’m hardly EVER using the engine). I had the 2nd oil change when it warned me it was time (I believe around 70,000 miles… LOL) Remember, you only change to oil at intervals of ENGINE running…and most of the time (if you plug it in daily) you will not be using it.

2. I believe you mentioned going to a pump to LOWER the tire pressure? If the Gen 2 volt is similar to mine… it has actual readings for each tire… so you can just stick a pen into the valve to let some air out (slowly) and watch the reading until you hit the number you want

As far as my lifetime average? I’m at 183 mpg lifetime.

1 Like

Good stuff, thanks! I imagined that I could have just done that, but the remaining 3 tires were under inflated so I just knocked it all out in one shot like that. I’m not expecting any crazy maintenence issues at all, but the other stuff is nice to have peace of mind about since it really ended up costing me nothing to do it. Barring something incredible I don’t think I was getting that full 1500 in flex cash without the service contract, or a big showdown that would have just been bad all around, especially since we came to terms very easily and they held up their end of the deal. I wasn’t gonna drag this out with the family present at the 1 yard line like that and I saw value in what they were offering for that kind of price all in.

You’ll love it!

Enjoy!

I’m amazed with the technology and with all the discounts I got… AND the fuel savings… it’s a no brainer for my 90 mile + commute (I charge it up 100% in the evening, and charge it up 100% at work for the ride home).

As long as the temp it above about 60 degrees, I make it all the way to work, or back home (about 43 miles each way) without using the gas engine. During the colder months, have to use the gas engine for the last 3-4 miles.

The Gen 2 gets even more range… so you’ll be in great shape without ANY range anxiety… ever!

1 Like