Chevy Volt LT... Did I earn the title of Electric Eliminator? (8300 one pay, 36/15 with XS wear)

Excellent deal. Would appreciate if you could share dealer details. Looking to lease the same. Thanks!

Congrats! You’ll love the car. I picked one up last week: 1500 DAS, 369/mo 36/12k. Premier with AAC. 9.25% tax, nor-cal.

1 Like

How does this compare to the Honda Clarity?

1 Like

Having briefly driven both now I’d say it’s hard to go wrong with either. The styling of the Volt is definitely more appealing. The interior quality of the Clarity is better. The Volt isn’t bad, but the Honda is nicer and would probably be a better choice for long trips. I’d say that they both handle and ride about the same. You get more electric range with the Chevy, but the Honda gets more standard safety features. If they were exactly the same cost to lease I’d probably pick the Clarity, but for me some of the compromises the Volt presented me with were worth the savings I was able to get. One caveat: if you regularly travel with adults in the rear seats, get the Clarity. You can get two people in the back of the Volt max, while the Clarity is quite roomy back there, being the bigger car. My car seats fit in the Volt, but it’s not super roomy back there, especially when I drive vs my wife. I plan to address this soon with a booster seat for my oldest, and switch his current seat over to the youngest since it’s more compact than the one he’s in now.

I looked at both volt and clarity. I can confirm about the back seat room is not that much on the volt. What almost drove me to the volt is that you cannot get bsm, lumbar and rear sensor even on clarity touring. Volt seems more quicker for some reason. I test drove the clarity without any charge because the dealer is too lazy to charge it and so that might be the reason. Volt premiere will also be more $$ compared to touring but the base vs lt will be very close. The clarity also gets 6.6kw onboard charger while volt max at 3.6kw so you can charge clarity at half the time but i heard the 2019 will finally get the 7.2kw.
Both are very nice inside and out. Cant go wrong with either.

1 Like

A dealer who sells electrics and refuses to charge them? What an idiot.

Yup and then i asked them if they have L2 charger and they dont! Wth?! ! So they are probably charging it in 110v if ever and found out it took forever to charge. Complete idiot indeed!

1 Like

Yeah, the 110v charging is a pain for me but not a deal breaker at home. Just needs to be charged overnight and it’s fine. I might look into 240 at some point, we’ll see how this goes. The presence of an efficient gas engine doesn’t make it urgent, but it obviously loses its value proposition if not charged regularly.

Since the Volt only has a 3.6 charger on board, you can get away with a 240v fast charge plug adapter for $60.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/EVSE-Level-2-upgrade-2x-faster-for-Bolt-Volt-Fiat-Chrysler-Ford-EVDoubler-6-50/263409380654?hash=item3d546c2d2e:g:GV0AAOSwp7RbkuiD&vxp=mtr

I picked one of these up, and utilize a old 240 line I had set up in my garage. Get a full charge in 5 hours. Don’t waste $1000 on a fast charger if you don’t have to.

1 Like

Awesome, I’d have to look into my 240v options. I don’t have a garage so charging is not super convenient at home, but I do have an outdoor 110v outlet that’s close enough to use with a decent extension cord. Just need to pick up a safety cover today for the sidewalk so I don’t end up getting sued by someone.

Dont know what the effect of this when using these conversion adapter. Will the nema5-15 or wire be able to handle the load using these adapters? Maybe an electrical technician or engineer can shed light to these. 110v is fine as long as you have time to charge it overnight. For a dealer selling ev car, not acceptable.

1 Like

The only effect it will have is charging the Volt 2 - 2.5 times faster. The charger that comes with the Volt is already rated at 120 / 240. The adapter is as same. As long as you have a 240 plug somewhere in the house, you can use it.

1 Like

Or just spend the $200 for a proper L2 charger so when your house burns down you don’t get f’d. Then you can leave the stock one in the car when you’re out and about

1 Like

Those chargers are done the SAME EXACT way. They cut off the 120 adapter, and add the 240. None of these are going to burn your house down. They are rated at 220-240.

I know but with my luck my house would be down and they would say it was the charger, insurance companies suck and will use any excuse to get out of a claim. Personally I’d just spend the $200 to have something with a UL label that says it’s rated at 240. That’s just me and my opinion, and if you ask my wife it’s not worth much.

1 Like

I made my wife plug it in to test it out. :rofl::rofl::rofl:

3 Likes

Anyone have any advice or experience securing the charging cable? I just ordered a small weather resistant TSA style luggage lock to use as a deterrent at the very least. Obviously someone could just cut the cord if they really wanted it, but at least it is something.

You mean like at the house plug receptacle? How are you planning to set up the charger?

They have wall lock out covers, but pretty easy to break if necessary.

1 Like

At the moment I just have a good quality extension cord running to the car. I’m looking to lock the charger handle so it can’t just be pulled out and taken. Sure if someone really wants it they are going to get it, but it will at least deter someone just looking to snatch it quickly.

Edit: I didn’t see that they had that little spot to lock them in on the charger. That is your best option for sure.

1 Like