Chevy Bolt Battery Recall - No Longer?

So something happened to my friend who has a Bolt. I am going through a Lemon Lawyer and now waiting results. I had encouraged my friend to do so also, and he dragged his feet, but eventually going in to do so now. That said, dealership is saying there’s no longer a recall for the battery. He has a 2020 Bolt and never got the battery replaced before.

Is it possible that Chevy removed the recall? I didn’t know this was possible, and I am actually wondering how it is possible. Any insights would be appreciated! I am worried if this will affect my open case now too.

Thanks everyone!

1 Like

I can’t imagine being able to lemon-law a car for a recall for which parts are easily available. Your friend should run the VIN through the recall tool on GM’s website. If the recall shows as resolved but your friend doesn’t remember getting the battery replaced (???) then he needs to call GM.

1 Like

Thanks – appreciate this!

Did you find out about this after your last post?

I’ve been waiting for the dealer to call about the wife’s bolt to replace the battery… that was a year ago, still no word. I can’t wait for the damn thing to go back, even if it was only $90/mo. The battery doesn’t last for sh*t and won’t charge fully, ever

1 Like

Sounds like you have a defect, because that’s not normal behavior. Call GM, give them your VIN, and figure out what the desk is. Some dealers are very proactive and some are not.

So my friend reached out to the lemon lawyer I am using. We are in CA, where there are strong lemon laws. Not sure for your situation, but I waited a long time before GM sent me a recall notice. That recall notice finally went out January of this year. For me, I contacted a lemon lawyer in March, and we finalized the lemon claim in May.

For my friend, he got notices around the same time, but didn’t act on them. When he finally thought to act on them (I was told by lawyer to complete the recall), he was told there’s no active recall on the battery (he never got it fixed previously, he’s the only owner/lessee). This was late May, where I had my recall fixed in early April. That’s where I asked on this thread if anyone has heard of this happening at all (a recall notice ending). My friend was told what he needed to do from the lemon lawyer – this action happened after this thread post. So this thread isn’t as relevant to what I was asking anymore, but it might help others see what’s happening by GM/Chevy, which seems shady. That is, to make a recall for a short fixed amount of time, and then end it abruptly. I don’t know your specific situation, but if you never got a recall notice, that’s a bummer. I would look into a lemon lawyer if your state is like CA with strong laws protecting the consumer, if I were you, since you might have a case. Good luck!

Why didn’t you do a swap? All said and done GM ended up paying me $3k to drive the Bolt for 3 years

i continued to press them and they kept putting me off, terrible service. They kept saying we were on the list for when they got the batteries in… never got a call. Should I call again and tell them I want a swap? Cars going back in October, she’s put a whole 11k miles on it in 3 years lol

You won’t be able to do a swap this late. They would just hold you over until October. Plus, from what you’re saying, 1) it doesn’t sound like you’ve gotten a recall notice, or 2) you have, but dealer doesn’t have a battery yet.

Either way, you need to be contacting GMs EV department. For 1) asking about where your recall notice is and why it’s taking so long (noting all of your stated issues); or 2) asking if you can get a battery sent to the dealer, or if other dealerships can nearby can do the battery swap. Again, either way, you should be contacting GM. Good luck!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.