Cheapest lease deals for my 16 year old niece?

Driving in Manhattan, anyone?
a8ed74e8ccbf42e8c136bf65cad839d8

4 Likes

It’s the best place to start driving if you’re new. If you can drive there, you can drive anywhere :slightly_smiling_face:

5 Likes

And if you can’t, the insurance will be so high from all the fender benders that well you ‘cant’

5 Likes

Truth Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

A Kia Soul LX with the tech package financed at 3.49% at 60 months may be the best thing if you want something new and care about their safety per IIHS.org. The size of the car will make parking easier for them and it’s highly functional. Given they have a much higher chance of an accident. That base car plus the tech package has decent modern safety plus at a discount through a broker in your area if you’d like.

2 Likes

In some areas on the northeast or CA it may not be.

I agree, those systems can help prevent a situation where you are at fault. What they don’t prevent is when someone handed down their 10 year old mustang or bmw M3 to their 16 yr old son who tells his parents he will drive like an old lady and then is in the school parking lots trying to burnout his tires every day to show off to his friends.

3 Likes

I used this philosophy with 2 of my kids and it didn’t work out like I planned. Or maybe it did, because they were never injured in the 3 “collisions” they had in our 2005 Expedition. But 2 of them (and maybe the 3rd) wouldn’t have happened if they had been driving something car sized.

I always went by the give them something big and old mantra so physics would protect them in most cases. But what that fails to take into account is how difficult parking those land yachts are. Combine that with kids having to park in assigned spots in school parking lots, not being allowed to back into the space and almost always being in a hurry to go somewhere and it’s a recipe for problems.

We had 1 backing out incident where he was backing out of the spot and some kid came flying through the lot in his dad’s old Audi S4. Nobody stopped in time and because my son backed into him, he was at fault. Because of where the wreck was it required 1 panel and a bumper to be replaced in order to fix it. Son’s 2nd incident is he was late to get to a game he was working, pulled too quickly into a spot in the parking deck and grazed a bumper. Smaller vehicles would have prevented both of those incidents.

The end of the vehicle was when my daughter cleared an intersection but couldn’t stop in time before she ran into a line of cars stopped to turn into a shopping center. Airbags deployed. Size of Expedition and distance between cars pushed car she hit into the car in front of it. It bent front of our SUV to the point it wasn’t worth fixing with the airbags having deployed. Smaller car would have been able to stop quicker.

New to LH but I’ve been deep dive reading for a week.

Just curious why cheap leases are ‘on hiatus right now’?

I would have guessed end of June (dealer quarter) might be optimal to close a solid deal.

1 Like

With rare exception, cheap leases havent really been a thing since covid. Inflation, high interest rates, and manufacturers reducing their production volumes have really put a damper on things.

7 Likes

Well if you have been reading you know that in general good demand/low inventory still exists for vehicles along with suboptimal semiconductor supply along with MSRP inflation/high interest rates/MF’s and manufacturers not inflating RVs as much as in the past.

1 Like

thanks! yeah, that’s what I figured… with those rare exceptions seemingly being the GC 4xe, EQE 13 month’r, etc…

After 2+ years, calling it a “hiatus” is perhaps the best case scenario

It may also be the new normal.

4 Likes

True. If anything, the oversupply/overproduction along with near zero interest rates that seemed to be around more or less since the post-9/11 market conditions together that led to the unnaturally low lease deals was a market anomaly that got corrected when the supply chain got flip turned upside down.

1 Like

Has anyone brought up insurance rates yet?

Run the rates for a 16-year new driver on a brand new car and think about if that’s still a good path.

Awell cared for and generally very safe $6k-$8k car may make sense and dropping collision could pencil. Could pick some vins of cars for sale and do a comparison.

6 Likes

Rates for a 16 years old are disgusting

2 Likes

The insurance rates for my 2022 Lexus NX are lower than the rates for my wife’s 2012 Camry. I assume this is due to all the extra safety features on a new car vs. a 10 year old car.

1 Like

May be more of a reflection of the average 2012 camry driver vs 22 NX driver.

2 Likes

And that thieves are more likely to target a Camry than an NX (just guessing)?

That certainly could be a factor