Cheapest Crossover/Small Suv to lease? Budget $400 (lower preferred)

My sister wants to get a crossover or smaller suv. I know it’s one of the harder segments since those are the most selling vehicles right now.

Which should she be looking at? She lives in the south east as well so the incentives here seem a bit rougher.

She’s looked at an escape but the dealer was super pushy and wouldn’t discount anything for her so now i’m helping her look.

Edit: She also asked that is has apple car play so she can use waze since she doesn’t care about the vehicle having navigation.

Forget that dealer, everyone discounts. I wouldn’t even do the dealings in person, I’d call/email asking for the New Car Manager.

But they’res a ton of options, from Subaru Crosstreks, Hyundai Tuscon, Honda CRV. I mean shoot for under 400 you can even get luxury SUVs.

Just have to find the right car and search the forum for similar deals you’d want and contact the Sales Manger and tell them you want a similar deal or you aint coming in (can stretch the truth and tell them you have to go a great distance to get there).

But Toyotas, and a good bit of others. You have to find some cars you want and it depends on how you spec it as well. Miles/Year etc.

But long story short that’s very do-able. For non-premium brands you should be 200-300 for an AWD Honda CRV LX with zero down 36/12K. I saw dealers in Virginia Advertising at 279 for that, but being a hackr I’d want more.

1 Like

Take her to a car max and have her drive a few of them. Then when she decides what she likes start to compile pertinent data ie mf, RV, incentives she qualifies for…then the folks here outside of throwing names of cars as wild assumptions you will get alot more help

2 Likes

Hondas don’t lease well at all. The CR-V is notorious for leasing poorly. Don’t spread false information like this.

OP: look at the Equinox, Terrain, and RAV4

1 Like

My fault I didn’t mean to have Honda up there, I meant to reference it in the paragraph below. Fixed it.

That’s a great idea to just use carmax for test driving. I’ve always just test driven at dealers.

She went to the dealership without me knowing she was finally looking. @boardwalknj I’ll definitely check out the equinox/rav4/terrain mf/incentives on edmunds and go from there.

If she is buying then I suggest used one to two years old with under 10K miles. Leasing than Equinox, Nissan Rouge and Mazda X5 (for quality) are the best lease deals. With zero down and zero at signing 12/36 will be under $350. Just got two LT Equinox this month and the 1.5L turbo was $267 and the 2.0L $272. Keep in mind they include non GM leases.
For purchase I suggest looking at Hyundai Tucson or Kia Sportage first and Chevy second (I like the look and price of Mitsubishi’s but they have a terrible maint history) . If she wants to keep for a long time than look at Honda and Toyota but those used deals are terrible during the first two years of the SUVs. Maybe 3-4 years back.

From now on, do NOT do any negotiations in person. Contact the dealership/GM via email first then phone once you get a good vibe that they are willing to make the deal. I also tell people "why go to the shark invested environment where they are in control whereas you can be in control by being in your environment (home).
Once you get in contact with them electronically then it will allow you to gauge how willing they are to make a deal. Once a dealership (yes send email to a few) provides a quote that you feel is good, then call them and lock it the price/deal. During the phone call or email (locking in price) then tell dealership you going to send a copy of license and insurance in order for them to start the docs. If you are planning on financing through dealership, report the online finance form will be forwarded as well.

In general, once I upload the docs in the email, I send the following text. “Attached is my license and insurance in order for your to start the documentation.” “Once the paperwork is completed and car is prepped (detailed) then please call me and I will drive down, inspect vehicle then sign and drive.”

Once you inspect vehicle then inspect the contract. Ensure the numbers are correct (mainly the monthly is exactly the same over the phone/email). If purchasing make sure the finance charges are not inflated.

2 Likes

I agree with the Rogue and the CX5, probably more towards the Mazda but that’s just a personal preference. Check the forum for broker deals. She could be looking at a BMW X1/2/3 for that kind of money if she’s willing to travel or have it shipped.

Heres the Honda CR-V for 279 including tax if you want to reference this to match down in SC.

1 Like

My under $400/mo. list, I’d drive (at CarMax):

1. Mazda CX-5: The CX-5 is getting very close to the luxury compact crossovers segment
  2. VW Tiguan: Roomy for it’s class, lots of storage space
  3. BMW X2: Sporty, on the small side, but I’ve seen deals for well under $400/mo.
  4. Subaru Forester: Recently updated, more practical than Crosstrek.
  5. Honda CR-V: Always reviews well

+1 for looking around the forum for broker deals.

Happy hunting, and remember, before she signs post the full deal here. We’ll need MSRP, dealer discount, incentives, MF (found on Edmunds), RV (found on Edmunds) to evaluate.

2 Likes

2019 Subaru Outback, the 19’s are leasing for far below $400. A 3.6 limited has been leasing for $325 lately and that is a very well equipped vehicle.

1 Like

You might also check some of the lease transfers here on leasehackr to see if anything looks good.

Search highlander deals, probably one of the better deals going right now

I just went through this with my wife and ended up with a Honda passport ex-l for $340 a month plus tax on a 36/12

So she got this offer which she’s probably going to go with. (Her credit score is more tier 2 than 1)

Honda CRV ex-l at $350 per month with $350 due at signing.

One odd thing the dealership ran her credit, but is asking her if they can send in the bank approval today as well. Does she need to have the bank approval before she is there? I thought you had to physically sign off for them to get a bank to approve a lease.

She’s going in next week when I am able to come with her.

Post MSRP, MF, adjusted cap cost and Residual if you want more help from the forum

Seems you should be able to get this lower with hidden factory to dealer incentives, assuming ~30K MSRP for an EX-L. But you are on the right track

.00069 and 61% No incentives from edmunds
MSRP: 30,795
Discount $2,100

I’m gonna ask some other dealers to see if they can get a higher discount for her, but this is supposedly their invoice pricing since she is a teacher and this is one of the dealerships that gives teachers “their invoice pricing”

I feel like she can get another $1k off.

I told her to tell them no on the bank approval until she’s in there, I feel like if she agrees they will try to lock her in and not discount further.

That discount is rough. There’s definitely room to improve.

Need at minimum another 1K discount with end of year and factory to dealer hidden cash.

See Atlas thread for the "invoice game"dealers play…

Alfa Romeo stelvio