Charged $1200 bucks for a replacement Heads Up Display on lease turn in. (BMW)

Absolutely nothing was wrong with it too, I drove the car for 3 years. I would have assumed something like that would be fixed under warranty, but since I ended my lease 2 months early does that pass the bill onto me? Seems insane, ate into the majority of the MSDs I was getting back. I probably would have gone about that differently if I had known that would happen. If anyone has experience with something like this I’d appreciate some advice. Haven’t been able to get in contact with the sales guy I worked with.

Did the windshield need to be replaced/was it replaced?

Did you get the vehicle inspected prior to turn in?

You have to talk to BMWFS, not anyone at a dealership.

4 Likes

It does say “Heads up display Windshield”, is that what that means? I didn’t get it inspected beforehand. Wasn’t aware I needed to get in pre-inspected until they asked me if I got it done when I went to pick up my order. Was my first lease turn in.

It sounds like they are charging you for a new windshield that is compatible with a heads up display, not a heads up display.

Your windshield must have been chipped or cracked. The lease-end inspection is free and they come to your home. It would have helped you avoid this.

4 Likes

I remember when the LKA first came out, that you had to get OEM windshields, but then they came out with calibration methods for the LKA using aftermarket windshields. But I heard that they’re having the same problem with HUDs now - no calibration method, so you have to get OEM windshields, for now at least.

$1200 is a bargain for a HUD windshield replacement these days. You aren’t in a court room and what’s done is done, but I’d gamble you knew there was a crack, but you didn’t think it was bad enough to be charged.

1 Like

Had no idea there was a crack, it must have been toward the lower part where I couldn’t see. Unfortunate, but it is what it is.

Noted for next time.

1 Like

Bummer. Sorry to hear that. Assuming the damage was there, it is a fair price for a HUD windshield replacement.

2 Likes

Random unnecessary update: I ended up getting a partial refund of $1,000.

7 Likes