CDFTA sellers permit and CA sales tax for leased cars buyout question

If one has a reseller’s permit in California for a different trade area, can you use that to avoid the sales tax of a leased car bought out & sold after the 10 day window ?

I have a reseller’s permit for my small business issued 6 years ago by BOE (now CDTFA) for a different trade (IT networking).

Would such a permit allow for my motor vehicle to not be subject to taxes if I can’t sell the car to a dealer within the 10 day exemption ?

Screen Shot 2021-08-05 at 6.33.34 AM

You would want to discuss this with whomever does your business taxes/accounting, but I think you’ll find the answer is no. Your seller’s permit is for your business, not you, so to use it for a personal purchase that isn’t part of your business is going to get all kinds of sticky.

Rhetorical question:
Do you use your reseller’s permit when you purchase anything else unrelated to your business for your personal life? If not, why not?

1 Like

It won’t work legally, and possibly get you in trouble with the State Board of Equalization.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.