Carvana Lays Off 2500 Employees

Not sure how true this is, but this story came up on my news feed.

I mean in the tech space software developers, product managers, data scientists etc have been getting crazy money the past few years, especially from the FAANG companies. Layoffs would give them cover to cut some of the overpaid/underperforming ones. Kind of like GE back in the day where you fire your bottom 10% every year.

1 Like

This was published back in February.

Facebook said on Wednesday that Apple’s App Tracking Transparency feature would decrease the company’s 2022 sales by about $10 billion.

Looks like Twitter is implementing a hiring freeze.

1 Like

Elon the master stock manipulator is at it again. How this guy isn’t jailed let alone fined by the SEC amazes me. Rules for me not for thee

One day some guy says you’re getting canned when he buys the company. The next day he says that purchase is on hold. If I worked there I’d be leaving for sure.

5 Likes

As soon as the news/information manipulators are exposed: Arguably more dangerous, those types.

He’s part of the club too. Just playing his role

1 Like

Is this all about making more $$?

Elon seems more into power/control then money at this point. One minute he’s for freedom the next he wants to implant a device in everyone’s brain. :joy:

The scary part is he has a cult like following. I can def see him entering the political arena soon.

1 Like

Since Musk was born in South Africa, we do not need to worry about him running for President. Maybe Governor or Senator from Texas.

3 Likes

Governor Elon. There’s some food for thought.

1 Like

As long as he fixes the Tesla quality control first he can run for whatever…
Forrest Gump Reaction GIF

1 Like

He lives in your state now in a tiny house, so good luck to you. :four_leaf_clover:

3 Likes

I work for a 60B yearly IT company, the key is to have a referral on the inside.

His ex Grimey said he lives below the poverty level in a $40k house with no security and only eats peanut butter 8 days in a row. So relatable to the struggling plebes. Anyone that believes that should let him probe your brain bc you’re delusional.

If Elon can do it so can you. See the agenda? Own nothing and be happy.

2 Likes

I will not live in the pod and I will not eat the bugs.

2 Likes

She never said exactly how much of the happy parts of their relationship involved MDMA. And the bonus baby they put in the surrogate that they announced after the split (not the one with the unspellabled name they manufactured together) is crazier than all of Michael Jackson’s kids combined.

4 Likes

Can we please get back on topic?

Who’s next? Vroom? Carmax? Cargurus?

7 Likes

Look past the stock prices to the financials, and tell us what you see.

I think Carmax and Cargurus are fine. Vroom’s income statement is a Manson family crime scene. Carvana’s balance sheet is one of the scariest things I’ve ever read, but despite their inability to sell junk bonds this week they have cash, they’ll get more through the deal they just close (adrenochrome is really just the cash that acquiring companies drain from their acquisitions) which buys them time, and they can always shuffle assets with DriveTime.

Used car values tanking will hit their income statements long before a hit to the balance sheet. Unless any of them run out of cash, any would be slow moving train wreck over ~12 months, assuming no creative fraud. But that’s just a guess.

I could see a PE taking Vroom private: Softbank did worse on many of their good investments the past year. Not them specifically, they’re in tough shape, but some dumbo could make an argument there is a multiple to be found.

I’ve seen crazier acquisitions to harvest a tax loss. :man_shrugging:t2:

8 Likes

Very good analysis, always interesting to see how these zombie companies fail. Happens every boom cycle, things slow down and these outfits implode

1 Like