Carvana Lays Off 2500 Employees

what are you referencing when you say the inevitable?

Lol a definite mis choice of words on review - Senior is more appropriate.

Side note : not very hyped for my future job prospects, I’ll be a 25 grad and I know lots of 22-24s, we’re all very anxious.

1 Like

Sophistry has consequences.

2 Likes

So 3 different people said about the same thing and you come back with your typical quite original quip?

Same thing has been said about all these $15/hr job postings. All these businesses urgently hiring don’t hire qualified people for some reason. Guess it’s just another conspiracy theory that came true. What are we on number 15 the last 2 years that turned out true now?

2 Likes

The Streisand effect is a lovely thing.

2 Likes

It was correct the first time, you capitalize proper nouns.

2 Likes

That’s as old as time. The only college students who don’t have any employment anxiety are the cockiest and/or those who benefit from nepotism

Almost a full circle, that Venn diagram^

2 Likes

They want to pay the lowest wage possible. Hershey Park when I worked there in 2017 paid me 7.25 an hour, they now start at 12 for the same job. They still can’t retain anyone because they give hours first to people who are paid less.

1 Like

Sounds like they need better management if they can’t strike a balance between labor cost and keeping a reliable workforce.

2 Likes

I can confirm part of this statement. Third party recruiters have reached out to me in the past, offering contract roles at big name tech companies.

2 Likes

I used to work at one of the big FANG companies. For the 6 years when I was there we always had a posting about a position that we didn’t really have a real need to hire. Even when we had a hiring freeze we were still advertising certain positions. The philosophy was that if we found a superstar candidate we could hire them, otherwise no big deal. This could be very frustrating for all the candidates with decent resumes who got screened by HR.

7 Likes

Once again, those with the means of production are oppressing the people and the economy. Eat the rich.

1 Like

And there’s definitely no companies out there that just make these shell postings for H1B requirements (cough, fraud)… no chance at all! :face_with_open_eyes_and_hand_over_mouth:

5 Likes

Or internal hires/promotions (especially in Public sector), or for positions where they are constantly hiring.

Small sample but for all my clients, 100% of their job openings are fully funded and actively being recruited. They’ve had trouble filling many of them because the top candidate comes back at the last minute with a crazy higher offer.

Meanwhile, I’ve seen as many abrupt terminations this past year as the combined past 20+ years. A hot job market has been good for people with flat salaries to finally get their comp up to market, but it has not netted-out to better hires building better capabilities/teams.

9 Likes

There’s also the chasm between the coastal economies and the interior economy.

When the recession hits, it will very much be unequal. Just like last time.

1 Like

I don’t disagree, but I’m wondering how that applies to all the coastal companies that shed their office space and are “100% work from anywhere”?

4 Likes

This popped up on my LinkedIn today. Driveway / Lithia exec offering help to laid off carvana employees.

3 Likes

Lithia is something to watch in the market and going forward too. They’re on a super hot streak of acquisitions and you can’t go a month without seeing them announce one in relevant auto-news places.

They could fold a lot of people into their growing Driveway program.

2 Likes

They are paying way too much tho

Not in my case lol