Cars.com and Autotrader

I was curious if anyone has used Cars.com, Autotrader, Craigslist to sell their cars to private party this year? I checked Cars and Autotrader and most of the cars advertised are from dealerships and online 3rd party vendors like Vroom, Shift, etc.

Back in 2015 I sold my Jeep Grand Cherokee on Autotrader for positive equity. At the time Vroom & Carvana wasn’t that popular yet. I wanted to see if I can sell for more cash to private party than what Vroom or Carvana would give me. So I checked these days and noticed not a lot of private party sellers. Yes, its more work and hassle but you may get more $$$. During this frenzy, might as well maximize the return if you can.

Keep in mind that you’ll need to purchase your lease out first before doing this and pay the nice sales tax bill while doing so.

Not sure why anyone would want to deal with that hassle of a private buyer. Especially if they do not have to. It is doubtful you will make more than a 3rd party sale to one of the car buying services. Even if you do manage to scrape a few hundred more, you still have the hassle of the private party, the buyout, and the paperwork.

Ebay motors.

But you’ll need a lien free vehicle.