Carfax screwed me! Anybody have a similar experience?

I could of put it in better terms. I used to be a tech myself so I know how it goes :grin:

They don’t need to look at every detail - just new paint should be enough, I’d think. And I didn’t mean “unrepaired” damage, of course.

1 Like

ive seen enough “CPO” cars with damage that wasn’t fixed, like dents in the bumper and large scratches, cracked spoilers. they told me tell the cars were cpo’d before actually being cleaned up and not to worry, it will fixed if i buy it…hah

1 Like

That sucks

Their was an Acura dealership in MI that recently closed who routinely did none of the Acura certification process, they’d just flip the cars and certify them without touching them. I saw first hand many of their CPO vehicles that were in awful condition; I once test drove a TSX with a rip in the seat, 4 curbed wheels and scratches all over it. Word is that Acura corporate found them violating the CPO standard enough times to strip them of their ability to certify any vehicles, which was essentially a death knell for the dealer as that’s the #1 profit center.

1 Like

I am currently having issues with Carfax. I had an accident in my camero, nothing major just a fender bender. I went to trade it in for a new camero and the carfax came back with frame damage. This deprecated the value so much that I don’t want to use it as a trade. I had my repairs done at the dealership and have written documentation of no frame damage. Do you have any new information on issues with carfax? Have you gone forward with the lawsuit? This really needs to be ended.

1 Like

I have had two experiences myself with CarFax…

I went to buy used Audi Q5 at a VW dealership… CarFax clean maintained by Audi and then sold by Audi in an auction. Car looks great has a great price, I still take it to a mechanic to get it checked. He gives a fine report and says just get the tires changed. While walking out I notice some weird paint on the body and ask for his quick look. We then find the tire also was brand new on that side. I back out and told them, while driving back I see the dealership people are all out staring at the car. I don’t know who hid the damage but CarFax is clean

Second time I go with a friend to sell his CPO BMW 328i at CarMax. It had to be a quick sell so we opted for that and wished to break even with the loan. Appraiser comes back with $3k down the value says the front has frame damage and they were able to see. CarFax all clean/BMW Certified beat that

I believe CarFax is majorly about what has been reported. I think the only source of truth would be a good mechanic but per my first case I don’t know if that would be a correct statement

Did you try contacting them?

Buying brand new or leasing new is the way to go now days IMO…

1 Like