Carfax screwed me! Anybody have a similar experience?

My first lease I got it in Delaware. I register the car there and then moved to florida (job related).
When it was time to return my lease, carfax showed IT as odometer tampering. Their report showed my 10k dealer service in FL happened before the registration of a new vehicle with just a few miles.

Since it was a lease, I didn’t get screwed.

Just out of curiosity I’d run an Autocheck and see what it says. Often times Carfax and Autocheck don’t match.

If it happened in transit, the dealer might not have known. I saw a vw eurovan camper bought back by vw because a couple years after the sale, the owner found out there was a previous repair that wasn’t disclosed(damaged at the port and repaired). Vw had to buy it back and give them all their money back

I will be contacting my attorney so if anybody wants to send me their info to carfax.complaint@gmail.com so we can file a law suite please do so with all info. i have owned my Porsche 911 since 2016. Carfax is reporting a “frame damage”. NO ACCIDENTS. i spoke with my insurance who has no knowledge of any damage, i spoke with police in California who has no info on any damage finally i went to Porsche in Newport Beach California to inspect my vehicle. Service and sale manager looked at my car, top and bottom on a lift in service department and they noted NO DAMAGE. Carfax is ignoring my emails since February of 2019. To trade in my vehicle i would be losing roughly $30,000 and i will be seeking damages worth of $30,000. - already filed a complaint in BBB. if anybody has any open case, suggestions or suite against carfax please let me know!!! This has to END!

2 Likes

have you tried this for what its worth https://support.carfax.com/articles/report-discrepancies/

Carfaz is known for misreporting events and doing nothing to rectify their records. Best of luck.

With that being said, what’s the best offer you’ve gotten on your 911? I’ll beat it by 5k ;P.

Yes, I agree with you.

A couple months ago I returned my leased bmw.
The car has been in 2 accidents:
1st accident was a front end collision with over 10k worth of damages (reported and fixed through Mercury insurance)
2nd accident was rear end collision with about 3k worth of damages (reported and fixed through AAA)
I decided to search the vin of the car as I was curious to see what it would sell for with 2 accidents on file. I end up finding it at a bmw dealership being sold as CPO. I click the carfax link and it shows zero accidents :no_mouth:. I was shocked and more concerned for who ever buys that car thinking it’s clean with no accidents. I know carfax doesn’t show everything, but I figured 2 accidents being reported through insurance would show up.

On top of this, I maintained the car at a different dealership than the one I leased it from (I moved cities). From my past experiences the dealership name/info always comes up on carfax showing where the car went. On this carfax, it only shows that I maintained it at the original dealer the car was leased from (even though it never went to that dealer after it was leased). I did return the car to the same dealer I leased it from.

I find this pretty weird and it’s almost like the dealership picked what they wanted to show on the carfax. It seems like a clean car that stayed local and has never been in an accident. It definitely makes me not trust carfax, not that you fully should anyways. Random rant but any thoughts on how accidents like that don’t get reported to Carfax?

3 Likes

Seems odd, does the vin match?

Yup! I made sure the VIN matched. Definitely odd. Almost makes me wonder if what they are doing is legal lol.

It may take 6 months to show on carfax, but I guess it’s been longer in your case?

Could it be some form of Title Washing? If the accidents happened out of state, than maybe it doesn’t have to be reported? :thinking:

Yes, both accidents have been longer than 6 months. The first one was about 2 years ago.

Car has stayed in California the entire time.

Carfax is a joke. I’ve had services performed not show up and services I’ve never done show. Likewise with accidents. I’ve had accidents not show that I know happened, and minor fender benders that never happened showed up.

I wouldn’t trust the data on a Carfax report, that’s for sure

1 Like

In my opinion, getting an actual inspection is always best. I pray whoever buys that car gets an inspection done, some gaps don’t even fully line up lol. Being sold as a “CPO” just makes people trust it more. Sad reality!

How did they manage to CPO it when their mechanics could definetely see that the car had extensive damage and could not be CPOed?

Some (not all) of the CPO standards are another joke.

1 Like

Exactly what @mp11477 said. Truthfully it depends on the tech that does it too. Lets just say some can be lazy that day and not look at every detail extensively.

Don’t blame the techs. They are told to check a list of things like brake pad or tire tread depth and the deadline was yesterday.

A good body shop is also not going to leave unrepaired damage behind

1 Like