Car Totaled in lease?

Thanks!

I think the DMV/Car has been funded but I will call Mercedes Benz Financial to tell them the issue on hand. I will tell them we will be getting another car from another dealer (out of state). The dealer charged us for registration/property taxes up front for the year but they didn’t. Dealer is such a scumbag. I should have went with my gut and not deal with Herb Chambers

I say this with all due respect, but several folks here have advised against doing an out of state deal in MA because of the issue of no temp tags.

The dealer is at the mercy of your state DMV and probably don’t understand the intricacies of your state registration. This doesn’t sound like their fault entirely. My guess is once everything is processed you’ll be refunded what they didn’t spend on tags. That takes time.

I completely understand but they should have told us it will take this long. All they said was “within a week” everything should be fine. They said they do Out of state deals ALLL THE TIME across the nation. Probably now im thinking it is NH or RI as out of state.

Now I am more aggravated they didn’t pay for full year registration and only 60 days. That is NOT what we discussed when we did our deal. So NC plates/registration is $36 and yearly fees in NC was about $650. So they are basically pocketing difference of the DAS from first month’s payment and plate/registration. So when we go back to NC later on this year, we will have to pay another $650+ for full year.

State laws usually prohibit dealers from pocketing DMV fees that were in excess of what was estimated. You’ll get a refund I’m sure and then can go renew your registration and use those funds.

I understand your frustration but I believe you’re not going to find relief other than waiting for things to process. I’ve never had an out of state registration take less than 20 days to process - that’s why temp tags exist in many states. You chose to do business in a state that didn’t have them.

Yes. I guess I have to live with it but I wish dealer was more transparent about it. First it was “within a week”. Then they said 7-10 business days. I told them, if it was 7-10 business days, I WOULD NOT have bought the car from you guys. I could have gone to NH and done it. You guys mislead us from the moment we stepped into the car. I caught their sales manager in 2 lies and he retracted his statement and admitted fault that it should have been brought to light.

I guess MB financial will have last say in this.

DJ Rabbi and I had a sensational Volvo deal worked out (for NE prices) at a Mass dealer who I truly trust for out of state deals (there aren’t many). He kept telling me and the dealership owner that he was going to come in and sign, then never did…

The dealership owner even offered to take his credit app info over the phone to make it more convenient at the end of the year.

He never showed up. He never called to do the credit app after saying he would. This was hours and days of negotiation at the end of the year.

He lives in MA but wanted to save money on insurance by registering it in another state.

Sometimes the last $20/month really isn’t worth it.

Lesson for me: Collect a retainer and don’t work with people who post in 10 threads about 10 different deals and cars.

Lesson for him: Work with trusted resources

6 Likes

He also said his annual registration fees are $650? Does that sound like a complete rip off and completely negates any savings from insurance? Even in NY I just paid $60 for 2 year registration.

Registration, title, and plates in MA are realllly inexpensive so that’s a hell of a point.

Insurance is definitely expensive because…you know…massholes and all :slight_smile:

1 Like

$650 is for excise tax as MA calls it but in NC you need to pay that up front in order to get full year registration. Which I knew cause of the Volvo lease we had.

Anyways, I truly wanted help from you all but guess it’s not going to happen. I will talk to a lawyer friend and get it done and over with.

@Bostoncarconcierge thank you for your time and efforts but I kept you updated as much as I can throughout the process. Volvo wasn’t that great of a deal to have us pull a trigger. Yes, I shouldn’t have wasted either of our times but like I said we were open to new brands.

To the mods, please close or better yet delete this thread. Thank you all again!