Car Swapping Between Dealers (Dealer Trades)

I understand 99.9% of the times, the dealers want you to take a car off their own lot, but what if you asked them to get it from another dealer? Are there any costs involved, if roughly how much, whether costs between dealers or between dealer/customer? Is it possible to do the transaction and then go pickup yourself? Basically I was not successful getting a vehicle from dealer A since we couldn’t agree on a sell price but I was able to get a good % off a different trim for the same model at dealer B. I have a feeling that dealer B would do it but if dealer A knows that it was for me, then they wouldn’t do the swap. Who gets credit for the sale in the end? Also, would love to know if anyone had success if they could provide any pointers. Thanks!

Done it, no problem. They basically trade cars or “buy” the car from dealer A. Sometimes it can be a little sketchy because dealer A will hold the car from dealer B because they are actively negotiating with you.

1 Like

depends on how much money the dealer will make. most good deals are for in stock only because they aren’t making very much if anything by having you lease it from them. you get the best deals when a dealer is just trying to move their own inventory. so yes it does happen but i’d say it depends on the deal and whether or not the dealership is trying to hit their month end or year end numbers

It’s very do-able but you may not get the best deal. I gave my offer to a friend that works at a dealer for a car from another dealer and got to the numbers I needed to get before he presented it to the manager.

Manager rejected it cause it would require a dealer trade. Manager said had the car been on his lot, he would’ve done the deal as he doesn’t care taking a “loss” if the car is his.

Even different stores of the same dealer would not trade sometimes, so it all depends. It’s true that they will most likely know when you’re trying to get their car through another dealer if they are in the same area. Some dealers will ask you to pay for transfer if shipping is required (or they need to send 2 drivers to pick it up) and don’t make much money on the sale, others will not.

If your dealer A is willing to do a trade at port for one of their allocations with Dealer Bs Lot car, then no cars physically swap from the lot other than getting the one you want from the other dealer. Dealer A doesn’t have shipping costs etc to send their car to Dealer B.

I’d wager they will do it at invoice with each other as otherwise they’d never do business. I think hat only applies in adjacent states- not cross country - but that’s only my opinion.

Pay your own shipping for the other car

Deale A moves a unit to hit quota.

Voila! …kinda?

If dealer B is a douche he will make it more painful by taking one of Dealer As allotments of a better /easier selling car that’s got good margin.

My car I got last year was a dealer trade. My sales lady had some difficulty. apparently most of her trades involve simply “buying” the car from the other dealer (I don’t know at what price). however, this particular dealer was making it hard on her, wanted to physically ship cars in both directions, make her pay for transit on both ( a couple hundred bucks) and had already installed lojack on my car and wanted that included in the price she gave him

Depends on the part of the country.

Invoice less Holdback is the common deal.

You usually swap cars and cut a check for the holdback amount.

1 Like

My GM dealer went to some website that had inventory dealers were willing to let go. My dealer paid two retired drivers to go about two hours away to pick up the exact car we wanted. I was impressed. Couldn’t have cost the dealer more than $100

Hi @Benedetto- that’s interesting , I forgot about holdback. - how much is the hold back on a BMW typically?

Cheers

I’m not informed on BMW enough to give that answer.

However, it’s a fluid number across the vehicles and trim levels.