Car payment relief during Coronavirus + incentive programs such as 'zero interest' and deferred payments

I just don’t need the car so won’t keep it. I’ll still have a Giulia to keep me happy.

I thought about this post walking my dog this morning when I started talking to a neighbor looking for a fun weekend car. He thought a CPO Giulia could be it since it’s astonishing depreciation means it wouldn’t cost nearly as much for Virginia personal property tax as a BMW or Audi. But he said he couldn’t find any CPO Alfas in DC area. Looking online, I also can’t readily find any CPO Alfas in the region.

Can’t imagine what the resale value on these off lease cars will be if you can’t CPO them. I wonder if FCA realized CPOing an Alfa is infeasible due to their poor reliability.

I’m sure it was asked before, but I can’t find it.
If I understand it correctly, BMW is paying 2 monthly lease payments on new leases. I saw the dollar amounts and most models on their site.
What I couldn’t find is whether M series cars are eligible for this. I would like to get into an M4 and this would be a nice benefit. TIA

Yes the M cars are eligible. The M4 incentive corresponds to the 4 series incentive, M5 to 5 series, etc.

It is not an MSRP based incentive, it is model based

Is BMW playing 2 monthly lease payments on people who already have BMWs or new leases I’m confused on the wording there. It says “loyalty” but what does that actually mean.

Here you go

3 Likes

So two months ago when all this started I called Audi about deferring payments and they told me they were doing two months deferred to the end of your lease, which I then signed up for. I looked at my latest statement yesterday and it appears as though the two payments disappeared completely instead of being deferred - my “paid” and “remaining payments” now add up to 34 instead of 36 and my lease end date hasn’t changed. Did Audi later change their policy to just forgiving two payments instead of deferring? Anyone else notice this?

That’s an interesting new albeit two months too late

1 Like

They always wait till complains roll in or media escalation happens.

And once dealerships start to open up and will be taking cars back to say hey - we told them and they followed our order:)

1 Like

I’m still missing the part about how the dealer is required to take back a vehicle they sold to a leasing company who then rented their property to a consumer.

I haven’t seen any reference to dealership franchise agreements that might require dealers to take back cars from the captive finance arm. And what about non-captives?

I also haven’t seen any of these articles cite a specific law that says it’s the dealer’s responsibility.

I get that the lessee has an obligation to return the vehicle at the end of the term, which creates a responsibility for the lessor to accept it. I just don’t get how it’s the dealer’s problem.

It’s their problem if they want people to buy through them instead of the manufacture. You can’t just make people give them money as the middle man and not do anything in return.

Anything that isn’t governed by law, regulation, or contract is a courtesy.

I’m trying to figure out what makes a dealer accepting someone else’s property at the end of a lease anything more than a courtesy.

Question I have is about 3rd party captives.

Also, would love someone to post a contract language

1 Like

I’d assume that it’s an agreement between the dealership and captive/3rd party bank that if the dealership does lease deals through them, the dealerships have to be agreeable to take back the lease returns. Captives/banks aren’t setup with locations for lease returns, so they have to rely on the dealerships.

That’s a logical explanation. I’ve just never seen anyone make a credible case that such terms actually exist.

And what happens when I have a US Bank lease on my Oldsmobuick and I’ve moved from Wichita to Whorelando between the time I picked up the car and the time I have to turn it in?

Am I supposed to drive around Florida trying to find an Oldsmobuick dealer that has a contract with US Bank?

You can probably call USBank and they will tell you where you can drop your car off at.

@Cody_Carter When you signed up to do US Bank lease deals, did you need to agree to allow returns at your dealership? If so, do you only need to take back Toyotas or any US bank lease?

I didn’t personally read the agreement. But I have taken Chevy lease returns before.

Just a straight Chevy lease (through US Bank or GMF) return with no new purchase? Or was it more like a courtesy lease return for a customer to close a new deal with you and then you just drive the Chevy to the nearest Chevy dealership to return?

I found this Chrysler franchise agreement on the SEC’s web site.

https://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/1019849/000095012402000556/k66280ex10-2_10.txt

It’s obviously somewhat dated, since the reference to the company is to “Chrysler Corporation.”

Nothing about lease returns that I can see.

It would make more sense to have the terms in question in the contract between the dealer and the finance arm, though.