Car Lease Takeover in Georgia

I was hoping someone could help me. I am planning to take over a car lease from Florida and a resident in Georgia. To my understanding, when I register my car in Georgia, I have to pay TAVT. As per the new law that went effective January 1st, 2018, a new car lease from Georgia only gets taxed on the leasing payments rather than the entire value of the car (I know ridiculous that it was this way).

As far as transferring the lease, does anyone know if I have to pay tax on the lease payments or the total value of the car? I cannot find the answer to this question.

Most appreciate your help.

i don’t know for sure. But i think you need to pay full tax. Think of it this way, if you lease a loaner, you’d have to pay full tax. A transferred lease is not a new car, it’s a used car like a loaner.

I was in this exact same situation a few months ago. Unfortunately, to register the car properly in GA, you will be paying TAVT on the entire FMV of the vehicle. The new 2018 law only impacts leases on new cars (i.e. if you walk into a dealer and lease a brand new car), but wouldn’t apply to lease transfers.

Tax on the FMV (fair amount value) of the car. It’s not worth it for lease transfers.

1 Like

I just got back from the GA Tags place. Took 3 hours. I transferred registration from Texas to GA.

Anyway, I was charged $1350 for the privilege of keeping my Alfa Romeo Stelvio another 11 months.

1 Like

Eww. Prob still cheaper than trading it in though…

Yikes! - upside you have a Stelvio!!