Car Broker Etiquette

all due respect, when you sell cars, you’re not an attorney. you’re a car salesman. i’m not saying that to be a dick or anything. like I have over a decade of IB/PE experience. but i’m selling cars. if someone considers selling cars a menial profession, that’s on them. you can bet that i have been told several times “oh you’re just a car salesman”. i think the proper response is that you’re an “entrepreneur” with a business to run.

13 Likes

I don’t see an issue with that type of a question. For example, I don’t like my time wasted nor do I like wasting other people’s time. So before I got to test drive, I figure out the “universe” of possibilities. On top of that, sometimes (not in this market), some trims maybe more discounted for whatever reason, and it makes sense to know if there is even a point to go after certain things.

“Don’t shit where you eat” is a concept that is entirely lost on a lot of people. I never understood people who will yell at people who handle their food, reservations, or anything like that.

Post this in your marketplace threads.

2 Likes

While yes it is a little disrespectful, I feel like it is a trivially easy problem to solve with DND settings on your phone, right?

8 Likes

BMW customers were the worst I have dealt with. So many people did not want to fill out a credit app because they submitted one 3 years ago and nothing has changed. Or have want us pull insurance info from when they got a loaner 4 months ago. Or upset with us because their registration expired and we (as in the dealer, not the state) did not send them a renewal reminder.

3 Likes

Humans in general suck. They do really stupid and unexplainable things. I watch drivers constantly here around Bergen county NJ and the shit they do I’m not suprised they haven’t killed themselves or someone else. Same goes for people in stores.

There is just no logic in what they do. Maybe I’m getting old but when I avoid people and crowds/groups I’m more at peace .

FYI

@nyccarguy this is actually a smart thing to do and should be a lesson for you in leashacking.

You don’t know how many times a particular cars higher (more expensive) trim will lease much better then it’s lower trim. You want to make sure you’re always targeting the correct trim to lease in a specific vehicle.

Prime example of this is looking at a Wrangler Sahara to lease for $650 a month or checking on the EV version and leasing it for half the price.

5 Likes

After finalizing my deal with my Audi dealer, the GM sent me a link to the credit app. I filled it out the first time, but the dealer claimed they did not receive it. I filled it out a second time, but still nothing on the dealer’s end. Turns out the GM had sent me an incorrect link (IT had not yet linked it to the existing system). The GM apologized and sent me the correct link. Filled out the app a third time and everything was fine. My credit was only pulled once, btw.

I was neither mad nor rude. Mistakes do happen. We are humans. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I forgot which comedian said this (carlin?)

1/3 of the people out there are assholes.
If you are sitting here listening to me, look left, and look right. If those 2 people are not asses, guess what! It’s YOU!

So basically calling you at 7:14 after applying at a dealership and expecting you to use that application because their CR is so low that it will add more MF because of that 2nd pull is par for the course of 1/3 of humans.
@Ashleigh whoops replied to wrong person.

2 Likes

Some brokers are just like some salesmen who are just like some customers: they complain incessantly and without end.

A reminder: every little annoyance in your life is not required to be documented on the internet. You can (and should!) choose things to just let slide.

6 Likes

Personally I don’t care what time people text or call me, just don’t expect a response if it’s at a ridiculous time. My phone is muted when I go to bed and until I am out of bed for the morning, so it’s only getting attention if I want to give it attention.

12 Likes

That is different than trying to reuse a credit app from 3 years ago.

Agree. I was just sharing my experience.

1 Like

This is my go-to response to those insist on telling me everything that I already know, “I can help you achieve what you are looking to do, or I can listen to you whine and cry for the next 10 minutes. Which do you choose?”

I don’t think I’ve shared this story but I once had a user from here:

1. Text me for a vehicle, I quote him
  2. He ghosts me
  3. Texts me 3 weeks later asking for another vehicle as if we had never spoken before
  4. I proceed to gauge his interest and remind him that the last time I quoted him, he ghosted me and didn’t respect my time (I sent several follow ups no reply)
  5. He half apologizes
  6. I quote him again
  7. He ghosts me again
  8. Texts me about a week later this time asking for program information on another car
  9. I ask if he was asking for a quote or if he was just trying to work his own deal
  10. He said he was trying to work his own deal
  11. I remind him that he hadn’t respected my time previously, and that I am not in the business of handing out program information. He complains that it only takes me a “second” to quote him and that I am not providing good customer service. (Normally if people are cool I’ve spent half an hour on the phone with people out of state helping them hack locally).
  12. He threatens to leave me a bad review if I don’t tell him the programs
19 Likes

Yeah I know it’s not a meme but it’s a relevant story, and it just goes to show the kind of shit that I’m sure we all deal with.

2 Likes

Some people man…

palllleaseeeee put that guy on blast.

2 Likes

I don’t know who the user is, they only texted me and they never left the bad review :man_shrugging:

1 Like

Reverse phone lookup :grin:

1 Like

I’ve definitely asked for a quote and said I’ll get back to you if I decide to proceed and may not have gotten back.

But agree with u a simple- hey I will pass, thanks would be nice.

You are his edmunds, bimmmerpost, LH and autobytel all in one!

1 Like