Car And Driver's First Five Months With the Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio Have Been a Maintenance Nightmare

2 Likes

That’s sad to hear, but not a lot of cars in the $75k range can go 0 to 60 in 3.6 seconds.

Shocking, an FCA product with tons of technology and first year production is a POS…lol

5 Likes

Fixed it for you.

6 Likes

I thought I would share since I’ve seen a lot of deal threads for people leasing these.

In college, I had a Jeep CJ7. A buddy of mine had a little Fiat convertible. Another buddy of mine had an Alfa Romeo Spyder. Between the three of us, at any given time, at least one of our cars was non-operational. We did our own work, thank God, because we were poor college kids. Jeeps acronym is Just Empty Every Pocket. Fiat’s acronym is Fix It Again Tony. I guess Alfa Romeo is just too long for to be an acronym.

Not surprising at all but FCA are doing themselves no favors with this kind of nonsense - “So, we waited and made jokes about our white Chrysler 300 loaner”

If they actually provided owners with some decent loaners, it would help to smooth over the obviously impaired ownership experience. Would I care if my brand new $75k car was in the shop for major warranty work for an entire month if I got to tool around in a Trackhawk? Not so much.

(plus there’d be some decent loaners available for hacking! :wink: )

From Jalopnik

Alfa-Romeo :
All Loosely Fitted Accessories Remain On Motorway Enraging Others

3 Likes

Always Looking For A ride

3 Likes

What good is a $75k car if it keeps breaking down and you’re constantly bringing it to the dealer to get it fixed…

Most (or all) of the people on here have been leasing the base Giulia with the turbo I4. This article and the Car and Driver one it’s based off of concern the Quad with the twin-turbo V6. I dunno if comparing the Quad to a base Giulia is completely fair.

Everything they had mechanical problems with (rear diff, fuel pump) are different components on the base car. This was also a test car that had been to the track, etc. The rest of the issues were act-of-god type issues (tire failing, windshield chip) that would happen to any car.

Now, is waiting a month for a repair on your $80k super sedan ok? Absolutely not.
Is even the base Giulia going to be as reliable as Accord? Unlikely, but that’s why we lease them :smile:

2 Likes

Eric N was right! Loaners ARE junk!

:rofl:

4 Likes

Miss that guy. All you had to do is mention “loaner” or “demo,” and his fuse was lit.

1 Like

The broken windshield / tire bubble could happen to any car, so I’d chalk those up to bad luck.

However, waiting one month to get a differential swapped on a car with only 10k on the clock is quite… troubling.

I wonder if GT-R owners that were blowing up their transmissions using launch control had to wait a month for the area’s certified GT-R tech to work on their car?

3 Likes

Well said!

Like I said before- lease an unreliable car, get a loaner, get a fat refund or a brand new one for substitution of collateral after you Lemon it. Not a bad way to go…

Provided your time is worth ZERO dollars.

1 Like

That doesn’t even make sense.

It doesn’t make sense to assign a value to your time?

But it’s logical to somehow know the particular car you’re going to lease will be a lemon. Get stranded on the road numerous times. Spend myriad hours hanging out in a dealership, making phone calls, arguing with dozens of people up the chain of command. And maybe at the end get another copy of the same piece of :poop: car that let you down in the first place?

You’re completely right. I’M the irrational one here.

2 Likes

You must have had an oddball CJ7. Those things are bulletproof, mechanically speaking. A '79 CJ7 was my first vehicle. 4.2 straight 6, 3-speed manual, Dana axles. Almost nothing to break on it, really.

I owned an Alfa Spider ('86) for a decade. It never once stranded me, and never failed to start each spring after sitting all winter.