Can't Do Hyundai/Genesis Lease from Out of State?

My friend is visiting me here in Los Angeles for the holidays, but he normally resides in Georgia. He’s really excited to lease an EV and we found a great GV60 that meets his needs. He wanted to buy here in Los Angeles and ship or drive back to Georgia, but they won’t let him. Does anyone know the technically reason why he is unable to lease from a California dealership and drive out of state?

There is no technical reason he cannot. The issue is the dealer doesn’t want to deal with the headache of an out-of-state deal.

4 Likes

A large majority of CA dealers will not do out of state leases, it has to do with the DMV processing

1 Like

TBH the same car bought on the east coast would save a ton on shipping.

And while I highly recommend EV for the right use-cases, a cross country drive in one sounds like a nightmare

Interesting that the Genesis dealers here in Los Angeles are pushing him hard to do a purchase instead of a lease!! They said they can’t do out of state leases, but they can do a purchase. Wouldn’t the out of state license/registration work be the same for a lease vs a purchase?

I read about so many deals on Lease Hacker where people lease BMWs from out of state and just have them transported. Seems strange that Hyundai/Genesis doesn’t support this for leases (they only support this for purchases).

Because of the tax loophole on foreign cars, EV leases are so attractive right now compared to purchase. So it’s seems like Genesis is leaving money on the table by not allowing cross-state leasing. Especially if there is a certain color/spec that you want that’s not available in your local state people would pay for transport or do a road trip to pick it up.

Hyundai/genesis does. The dealer youre dealing with doesn’t want to do it.

out of state deals are a pain to do. Out of state leases even more so.

Not to mention the AVERAGE a lower csi score so I don’t know why the dealer would even bother

The GV60, like all Genesis models currently, doesn’t lease well anyway so I don’t see the point of going through the trouble of leasing one 2,000 miles from home. Did you guys actually get numbers from any dealers? If he’s just looking to lease an EV to get the $7,500 rebate, there are much better deals on other makes.

He currently drives a GV70 ICE model and loves the Genesis brand. We’ve been riding around in my BMW iX over the past couple of weeks and likes it and now he now wants to get a EV SUV, but wants to be loyal to Genesis. So GV60 is the closest to the iX. GV70 Electrified is also an option, but since the GV60 is on the dedicated platform the tech seems to be better in there. Too bad they don’t lease that well compared to other brands. I wonder why Genesis isn’t more aggressive like Mercedes and BMW?

A sale can be a standalone transaction, a lease is a cycle for the OEM. They need a strong CPO conveyer belt to keep all those returns moving and at good prices to avoid taking a bath on the RV. Historically only BMW, MB, Audi, and Lexus have been able to achieve this.

1 Like

Brilliant answer @max_g. That really explains the most likely cause. Thanks!!

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.