Cannot get any of 5 dealers to budge on VW Atlas Cross. Open to any/all tips

Looking to lease a VW Atlas Cross SEL R Line 4Motion. We have 5 dealers here. 4 of them are part of same “family” but pretty sure they compete.

All 5 dealers have same basic vehicle I want. All MSRPs are about $47,500. And all of them want $590 for a true zero down.

This car has a 57% residual so I know I’m not getting the unicorn 1% here. But no matter what I do — and I’m usually a strong negotiator with this stuff — I can’t get any of them to budge even an inch on the cap cost.

Assuming I’ve done all the basic homework and steps — is it just sometimes not the right time or right car? I’ve never had anything like this with my three prior leases.

1% isn’t a unicorn number, it’s a made up metric that doesn’t tell you if something is a good deal or not.

Right now is probably the worst time in the history of leasing to try to lease.

How do these numbers compare to some of the brokers here that work with vw after paying for shipping/broker’s fees?

1 Like

It is definitely not the right time.

And what makes you think it’s the right car? Most cars don’t lease well so what made you assume this would be an exception?

Oh boy…

4 Likes

The market is def tough right now. I myself have been looking for a lease and I’m getting ready to close on a deal I was actually able to negotiate a bit. I might have gotten a little lucky tho and it seems like they had a rough month because they gave me the old “month end” line. But I personally found this car on cars.com (they seem to have a pretty accurate listing of inventory at each dealership) and the MSRP on the car was already listed lower than MSRP on the official website to begin with.

Nothing in particular made me think this is the right car for a great deal. I guess I just assumed with dealer completion, somebody would blink and then I would be able to play them off each other like I’ve always done in the past.

1 Like

Sorry for not knowing this, but is there someplace on here where I can see broker-negotiated deals on this vehicle? I know where to look for assessments of deals on specific cars but is there some way I can figure out if brokers are doing much better?

The Marketplace.
Search your state/area and car brand

Brokers and dealers post their offers here:

Consumers who have found and signed good deals post them here:

1 Like

2 dealerships told me today that their inventory is almost dry that they may soon go straight to MSRP on the leftover vehicles they have left.

One said they usually have 700 cars in inventory now below 200.

So as good as our equity is in our leases, you aren’t getting anything but bad pricing on new leases

And what worries me is I feel the equity everyone is getting will soon collapse and dealerships will still keep pricing on leases sky high.

1 Like

Explain Chicago Bulls GIF by ESPN

What rodman is showing you here is how many different ways the dealers are putting their collective feet up our asses right now. Ive leased 8 cars in the past, all of them are usually very good deals… I am trying to lease a car myself and it is unlike anything I have ever seen. A few dealers have said the discount is $500 off MSRP and these arent those crazy Genesis guys either. I drove through our local assortium of car dealerships and I can tell you all of the overflow lots that are normal packed like 10 lbs of crap in a 5 lb bag are EMPTY… If you can get a monthly payment that fits your budget and you feel like its the best offer out there, take it. Otherwise, go buy yourself a nice eBike

7 Likes

So basically the $6k I cleared selling my last leased car to Carvana is now going to get burned up in a new lease, but I guess that’s the zero sum market being a zero sum market.

2 Likes

And it’s not like the dealers are making more money, so little markup in the cars anyway and their volume is in the toilet. It’s like the housing market, crazy high prices, but once you sell, if you want to stay in the same market, the equity is wiped out, or worse yet you get in a bidding war and/or can’t find anything. The Rona has screwed up so many things, i think the only winners are divorce lawyers

6 Likes

“I can’t believe dealers are following the laws of supply and demand” only I wanted to benefit from the change in pricing, dealers are evil for raising their prices commiserate with their inventory! How dare they try to run a business!”

4 Likes

My man, the name of this website is literally lease hacker.

3 Likes

That doesn’t mean we throw reality out the window

4 Likes

Ok so what is lease hacking?

IMO the first concept of lease hacking is to target the vehicles that have the combination of RV, MF, incentives and discounts to make hacking possible.

Targeting random vehicles based on no research, nonsense “1%” ideas and/or searching for needles in haystacks = not lease hacking.

6 Likes

Try a Highlander Platinum through USBank leasing, I managed $500dn $470/mth plus 6% taxes. It’s a bit below the 1% threshold, with 7% off MSRP, but could apply the $1750 Toyota cash.

Or, I just picked up a GLI Autobahn Black Pack $34k, OTD with all fees and taxes $32k. Fun car I didn’t think I wanted.

Muh dood, Lease Hacking is about getting the best deal possible on a lease in a given market. That varies and changes based on economics and what supply and demand is. Learn enough about it on here and it’ll make more sense.

2 Likes

Was this in May? I’m only seeing $750 cash

Yes, May was 1750, in cincinnati