Cancelling theft protection after selling lease

Is it a dick move to cancel theft protection after selling a lease? Will it screw over the salesman (re: commission)? Or just the dealer?

I leased a car back in April. Most dealers were charging ADM, so I ended up paying over MSRP. The dealer I went with, instead of just marking up selling price, added a theft protection plan ($450) and protectall ($350). While the theft protection contract says purchase was not required to buy the car, it pretty much was. The contract allows me to cancel the warranty and receive a prorated refund, but I have to go through the dealer first. I sold the car and now the warranty is absolutely useless as it doesn’t transfer because I sold to a dealer.

Do the cancelation terms permit this on a vehicle you no longer have?

Yes, the contract even asks for a copy of the payoff or trade in documentation. Edited original post to only reference theft protection as I just confirmed protectall is non-cancellable.

1 Like

Cancel and don’t look back.

2 Likes

Won’t make a difference to the salesman. F&I person gets paid for added packages. You’ve had it 5 months, so there likely isn’t a chargeback to the dealer no matter what. Not to mention, we’re talking peanuts here. Even a 10% payout is only $80.

2 Likes

Thanks, this is the info. I was looking for. The salesperson was great and I don’t want him to be hit with a chargeback. The dealer/finance on the other hand… :ok_hand:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.