Can we stop with the markups already?

We just listed our largest market adjustment on a car for both 2021 and 2022 so far :slight_smile:

1 Like

I have been looking for a '21 WRX. Even with the '22s hitting the lots, everyone wants a markup. Only one dealer I’ve contacted said they’d do MSRP, but with a $799 dealer fee. But now they are ghosting me. Guess maybe they decided not to do MSRP after all. Next lowest thus far was $3k over. I balked and he said $2k. I still said “no” of course. My response has been “if you get someone to pay over MSRP for the old model while the new ones are already out, more power to ya.”

4 Likes

Lol that’s a rarity… usually doesn’t happen until after you’ve bought it…lol

1 Like

They’re waiting for you to go in person.

Mano Y Mano.

Adam Sandler Fighting GIF

3 Likes

I’ve browsed this site for years to see lease deals, etc. One that recently caught my eye was the 2022 Camaro LT1. I’ve always wanted a V8 American muscle car and I felt this was the perfect time to lease one since I have my SUV for daily driving.

I went online, found Jay Ellis Chevrolet in Atlanta, GA, and saw they had a gray LT1 that was perfect. Went ahead and got my pre-approval from GM, then I went into the dealership. Stood around for a little and someone asked if I needed help, I said yes, and they directed me to an advisor named Leland Sims. I told him I was interested in leasing the LT1, he asked for my license, and went to get some info for me. He came back with a lease quote sheet for a 1SS though on their site and according to the VIN, the vehicle was a LT1. For those who don’t know, the 1SS has a higher money factor than the LT1s. Also, they added paint & fabric defense ($1,495) to the total cost when I didn’t request that. I pointed this out to him and things get sticky.

He returns with the correct LT1 trim on the quote but the money factor for 24mons is 0.00212, 36mons is 0.00145, and 48mons is 0.00166. I immediately let him know these numbers are insanely off since the average that I’m seeing these lease for is about 0.00048 and asked him exactly how much of a mark up is factored into this? He of course didn’t know so I asked who gave him these numbers, he said his GM, Adam Toms, so I asked to speak with him. In this moment Adam was speaking to another customer but as soon as he finished, he turned right and power walked towards the door. I said sir, excuse me! and he didn’t stop once. Leland went after him and a few minutes later he returned. Leland stated he will not entertain a conversation with me regarding anything till they run my credit. I didn’t understand this because I informed them that I was pre-approved through GM which is who they’ll have to use to lease the car and that the markup they factored in is dealer set and has absolutely nothing to do with my credit. Leland simply shrugged it off and said if you’re not willing to run your credit then we can’t help you. Sir, you’re not trying to help me, you’re blatantly helping yourself.

I was frustrated by this and went to sit in my car as I searched online more because maybe it was average for this area. While sitting, I saw the GM leave out to head to the building next to the dealership, I opened my door and said excuse me several times. A coworker who was behind him called his name and he finally turned around. When the coworker pointed at me, he said “one second” and continued to walk into the building. At this point I was upset because how unprofessional is this. I go back into the dealership and ask if anyone else could help me with this since my sales advisor is upset at me and the GM won’t speak to me. I explain my situation and all three men understand and state even if they don’t get a deal, there’s no problem with breaking down the numbers. I agree and they call Adam but he’s not answering the phone. One of them asks Leland to go get Adam and Leland states, “Adam can’t talk to him.” I correct him by stating he can but is choosing not to because he doesn’t have a reasonable explanation for this insane markup.

Not only did they try to quote me the wrong trim, with add-ons that I didn’t request, but I am certain they would’ve sold me that had I not pointed it out. Then once pointing it out, you demonstrate the most unprofessional behavior I’ve yet to see at a dealership?! They couldn’t put their antics aside for one fair deal? I was prepared to lease that car on the spot and now I’ll never go to that dealership again.

1 Like

Right now, car dealers and car salesmen think they are king :frowning:

1 Like

You walked out and they probably got the deal they were looking for with another customer.

Dealers get to set the rules in this market.

Nothing you’ve said is surprising.

Next time help yourself and just email dealers or at least call them to discuss deals. Only go to the dealership to actually sign and take delivery.

All you’ve really done was waste your time.

1 Like

Don’t think too much or sweat it.

Just expand your search radius (may be wider than usual in this market)

This rationale deserves a Nobel prize. Certainly the solution to our little quandary here. So simple yet so elegantly stated.

If Obama can win the Nobel peace prize while droning the shit out of the Middle East, certainly biden deserves it for economics by his complex solution of easing demand by making Americans poorer. Unless he has a work around for his first obvious solution of increasing demand.

https://mobile.twitter.com/Goldfiinger77/status/1479554364553535490?ref_src=twsrc^tfw

4 Likes

What would your solution look like?

You should run for President.

I guess the sarcasm was lost in translation…

But in all seriousness, you can tell that he’s joking…

You’ve perused this site for years and didn’t know that going into a dealership and asking to talk with a random salesperson will get you a dreadful offer?

Looks like someone needs to go back to summer school for reading comprehension!

1 Like

Why the sarcasm? Lol

I knew what numbers were good due to my reading on this site and went in expecting a fair deal, even if it required negotiation. I didn’t expect that level of unprofessionalism and refusal to discuss anything with me.

You know what they say about expectations.

While his professionalism is certainly unacceptable, there really is very little point in trying to argue mf with a dealer or justify to them why they should or shouldn’t mark it up. Work out what the price should be with buy rate, offer based on that amount, and then who cares if they mark up or not to get you there.

The issue here is simply that they were charging a higher price than you were willing to pay. It really doesn’t matter if they get to their higher price due to the selling price, mf mark up, or other add ons. It’s all the same thing.

1 Like

:joy: Very true.

1 Like

I’ll definitely approach it much differently next time. I just didn’t expect them to stonewall me like that for pointing out things that didn’t make sense.

hahaha my thoughts exactly! I still don’t understand that in 2022 people are just strolling up to a dealership blindly.

1 Like

Often the same people that sign without looking at the terms.

Ya I know. If Internet Sales didn’t exist I would have never been in the car business. I was on my way to being an underwriter for a large mortgage firm, but this position fell in my lap. My main goal is to have people tell me “You’re not what I think of when I think of a car salesman” lol. I love that.

1 Like