Can we stop with the markups already?

Ohh yeah i was being facetious lol

I agree that just being under MSRP doesn’t mean you didn’t overpay

1 Like

I don’t see if being the complete way of the future for many brands outside of launch edition cars. Dealers are the best customer since they have to take delivery of units and it is their problem if demand slows. Plus people don’t want to wait if it is longer than 1-2 weeks. I think we will return to a higher percentage of orders than in the past, but until the manufacturer to dealer process and consumers mindset changes, lots filled with cars is still the most likely scenario for the majority of brands.

1 Like

I have a friend that is a Ford salesman, and in his opinion, these “journalists” that are saying the custom order model is the wave of the future are crazy. He said customers want instant gratification. They want to walk onto the dealer lot, pick a car, and drive it home that day. His quote was “Ford will go under” if they switch to this ordering model.

8 Likes

Agreed. I just made the exact point in the other thread.

Unless the turn around time is less than a week, this model is not going to last.

Cars for the majority of the population is an utility. They can’t or don’t want to wait for a highly customized unit, if they can get a model with most of everything they want.

1 Like

Cough 4Xe, Tesla Cough

1 Like

Everyone is going to stop buying cars effective today so that you don’t over pay… great idea!! Your logic makes 0 sense… if someone needs a car and can’t wait what are they going to do?

Can everyone stop buying houses to so that we stop overpaying for them? This is the real world… not a video game, you can’t stop anyone from doing anything :man_facepalming:

3 Likes

If only someone had applied this logic to pulling the e-brake on the best economy witnessed in decades.

Two weeks to break it, Two decades to fix it. :skull:

2 Likes

While it is super rare, there are still discounts available but you have to find them. No it is not easy and not every average joe is going to spend the time to do it. This is where your networking/dealer relationships come in play and can save you THOUSANDS. I have purchased 2 new car and 2 loaners (< 5k miles) in the last 2 months and got them both at a steep discount for what they were. This was partly luck, partly relationship, and lot of effort.

While it sucks that people are willing to pay it, they see some value in paying the inflated value. I know of people that decided to sell all their vehicles because of how much they were getting then realized oh they need a car now so buying another was their only option.

2 Likes

Had a 2021 Lexus GX- leased right before the chip shortage- got it for 10% off Sticker- great hack.
Wife totaled it. Wife is fine- but wants another GX.
So I shop around- most dealerships want a markup- up to $5k; found a local one that didn’t- they were getting a GX in a couple of days- so sight unseen, I put a deposit on it.
Show up at dealership- no markup- great… BUT I must ADD-ON nitro fill- $500; Docs went from $400 to $800. Then they tried to sneak in a 1% increase in the loan APR during the final signing- and said it was mandatory. I balked at that, put the new keys on the desk and started to walk out. Surprisingly, the rate went back down.
So markups may go away- but the dealerships will put in mandatory adjustments- which do the same thing.

5 Likes

Dealers had a record profit making year. Now everyone feel better?

3 Likes

Lol the understated part of the post that will get overlooked…lol

1 Like

I’m actually fine with the markups. I mean I don’t like them but if they’re clearly stated on-line or on the sticker you know what you’re getting in to. What I’m F’ing sick of is dealers advertising a car at one price or having the window sticker say one thing but then they tack on a $3k-$5k market adjustment. In California I believe that’s actually against the law but a lot of them are doing it. It’s sad but I have come to respect the dealers that actually include the markup up front!

2 Likes

Yeah I’m sure the random Ford salesperson will call the shots as opposed to Ford’s CEO, the person that journalists are quoting.

1 Like

The salesperson is on the frontlines. He hears what the customers are saying.

1 Like

And the flip side is all the people who don’t put in the effort.

Like the guy who said he’s accustomed (his word) to seeing all the markups but still didn’t bother to order anything… and now he needs a replacement for his lease that just ended or is ending. Genius.

None of this should be even remotely news to anyone at this point. How could any sentient American have been alive the last 6+ months and failed to realize the worsening supply chain situation?

It’s not some obscure piece of knowledge on an obscure forum somewhere. It’s on the news, it’s on social media, people are talking about it, how tf are people still waltzing into dealerships and saying “I need a car today”?

He hears what his customers are saying at one dealership in one one state. I remember a decade or so back when an acquaintance who ran a used car shop was saying how gear shift dials were the worst things in the world, how consumers would reject it and how his customers were specifically looking for cars without them.

Just one person’s opinion/observation.

1 Like

I still don’t like them, but understand how they are a valid technology that has a place in the market.

1 Like

If you rely and or qualify on government bailouts then by definition you don’t have “boatloads” of money.

3 Likes
  1. OP, you aren’t hitting your target audience in this forum.
  2. Dealers marking up and folks actually paying markup are two very different things. It is like the suit store marking everything up 100% and then having a “50% off” sale. You think you are getting a deal.

I had a Ford dealer advertising a Bronco on their website for MSRP. I inquired and they came back at $15k over. I told the salesperson I am not interested. Fast forward 2 weeks and he emailed me again asking “would you be interested at $5k over?” I didn’t even reply. Point is, you (dealerships in this case) can’t get what they don’t ask for. Some may pay it, most probably won’t, and they’ll adjust their price as needed.

1 Like

Besides, if commercial progress were constrained by what “consumers on the frontlines are asking for” we’d all be driving faster horse-buggies.

1 Like